Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Ball stealing squirrel

Posted by: user234392 | Tue 9th Jun 2009 00:28 | Last Reply

I was on the 8th hole in a local competition and I hit a tee shot up the fairway, completely straight shot(good for me ^^) and as I was walking down to take my next shot I saw a squirrel run across. Grab the ball and run off into the adjacent woods. Is there a rule of what I can do when this happens(does it count as landing out of bounds, do i get a drop) but I went back to the tee and played it again. with not as much luck. with it landing in the rough.

It's funny looking back on it but at the time I was pretty angry. 

Help will be appreciated.

Luke 

re: Ball stealing squirrel
user77012
Reply : Tue 9th Jun 2009 11:01

Luke,You replace it to as near to where it was without penalty.

user26342
Reply : Tue 9th Jun 2009 11:16

Luke,

Dave is correct there is a rule something along the lines of "outside interference"

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 9th Jun 2009 12:03

This has happened to me with a crow so I made a point of finding out.  Dave is spot on. 

user99350
Reply : Tue 9th Jun 2009 12:59

Bugger, I wish I'd have known that: on Sat I hit a super drive down the middle, though over a brow. No kids were about but no ball when I got there, was puzzled but dropped another and took the penalty. At end of round I was even more miffed as I would have shot a 78 which in the wind ans at the course I played was good. I can only only assume one of the above happened.

Thanks I'll remember that. I suppose you have to witness the theft?

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 9th Jun 2009 14:18

Crows do fly off with Golf Balls.

Once drove the 4th at Roundhay, 444yds. Couldn't believe it until I was told that a Crow picked up the Ball and as it flew away another Crow attacked it and it dropped my Ball onto the Green. Guys in front couldn't understand at first how a Ball hit the Green from a point directly above them.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 9th Jun 2009 15:59

If the guilty animal drops the ball in play you have the choice of replacing it in the original position or playing it as it lies.  I take it you took the latter option Lyth.....

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 9th Jun 2009 16:32

Chris,

I believe I played it from on the Green. First I knew the Ball had got there but didn't know how. It was only later I was told about how it got there. The 4th at Roundhay is the one the kids nick your Balls from, it's a blind Tee shot.

TheLyth

user38216
Reply : Tue 9th Jun 2009 17:48

I would pay good money to have one of the those squirrels in my bag. Hit a drive and it magically appears on the green!

user81455
Reply : Tue 9th Jun 2009 23:57

Pat I would have thought that either you or one of playing partners would have to witness the incident and have a pretty good idea where the ball had come to rest to take advantage of the rule.

I had a similar incident in the last medal I entered.  I hit my ball into some trees that were well spaced out and had short grass under them.  All of us saw the ball rolling but just before it stopped it disappeared.  We all just assumed it had settled into the grass.  When we got to the place we had last seen it there was no sign of the ball but there were three rabbit holes in the area.  After five minutes searching we concluded that the ball must have gone down one of the holes but as it was too far away for anyone to be absolutely sure I retruned to the tee and played 3.

user99350
Reply : Wed 10th Jun 2009 08:34

Jon, yes I would have thought that was the case. Perhaps it was the same crow that nicked D Lythgoes ball as it was only two miles away (as the crow flies). 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top