New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Buying a Lob Wedge?

Posted by: user215570 | Mon 8th Jun 2009 17:50 | Last Reply

i am looking to buy a lob wedge can any 1 recommend one

Last edit : Mon 8th Jun 2009 19:40
re: Buying a Lob Wedge?
user38216
Reply : Mon 8th Jun 2009 19:59

I use Taylormade RAC, the rusty type. Ive only ever owned one other 60 degree, being a vokey so I have not tried many, but I am happy with mine.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 8th Jun 2009 22:31

It's not the wedges you need to worry about it if you can use them or not!

I'd recommend having a lesson with a pro before deciding on which wedge to buy.

They will be able to tell you if you need to buy one with lots of bounce or maybe not so much.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Mon 8th Jun 2009 22:51

A wedge is a wedge is a wedge. it takes no time at all to learn how each one behaves and the best way to use it.

user99350
Reply : Tue 9th Jun 2009 13:11

I tend to agree with John. Think of it as another club. Too many of us fear certain types of club and shy away from them with the result that they're missing out on an aspect of the game. You can discounting fat/thin shots, which you can do with any club. I can't say that iI'm more fearfull of using my 60* as opposed to the 56* (you can mess up either one depending on the shot). . The tricky shots are the non full shots which require practice.

By the way, I can't say enough about Nike SV tour wedges, I have two as above.

user52922
Reply : Tue 9th Jun 2009 16:19

Patrick, you are right, it is just another club, which comes in all shapes and sizes and I doubt there is a wedge made that I couldn't use effectively.

The probable reason players tend to struggle with the wedge is that they hit them so far, judging by the comments on this forum. Up to 150 yards I have read on occasion.

This then means that to cover all the distances below this figure requires a lot more skill, flair, imagination and dexterity than thjey possess.

My PW I can hit 100 yards and then I have a Gap wedge, a sand wedge and a lob wedge, which means I can hit full shots down as low as 40 yards.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 12:28

Taking JP's point about a wedge being a wedge. Do you guys know why we have 60* and 64* wedges today when a 52* did the same job years ago?

user127691
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 12:44

I used to have a 60 degree wedge but it was difficult to use and encouraged me to try and stiff every chip next to the pin and play some stupid elaborate shots which usually got thinned or rolled straight off the top of the face and went about 20 yards up and 5 yrds forward.

I got rid and I now have a 52 and a 56 degree Vokey wedges. The wedges are brilliant and reducing the loft has given me much more confidence and consistancy I just open the club up if really neccesary but this is rarly the case.

user99350
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 12:49

David, very valid point though I'll bet you (as no doubt JP and I did) opened the pitching wedge (or 10 iron as they were known) to 64* or more when the shot required it. By the way if you're not up to anything tomorrow afternoon I'll be playing at MoorAllerton 4 pm if you want to join me.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 20:32

Hi Patrick,

Planning anything for tomorrow is off the course at the moment. went for an interview yesterday to run a 9hole Golf Course on a Holiday Park for the Summer. They will let me know tomorrow.

On Monday my pal from The Glen is coming down for 3 days and is looking for games Mon, Tues & Weds evenings. Horsforth is one because of "1906 Club", Fulford may be another and somewhere else.

TheLyth

user99350
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 23:18

David, ok, good luck with the job. If you've not chosen the third venue what about MoorAllerton? As my guest it'll only be £20-£25 p p gree fees.I'm not too sure about my committments at work but should be able to move things about for a game Tues 4pm ish (weather for Wed is pretty crappy).

Last edit : Fri 12th Jun 2009 00:11

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top