Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

mizuno mx 15 irons

Posted by: user60926 | Sun 7th Jun 2009 13:05 | Last Reply

Had these irons a couple of years now custom fitted from new. I really seem to struggle with them. Had a series of lessons to sort my swing out but i am still struggling to use these irons. I have not got a registered handicap but i play of about 25.

Has anyone else had problems using these irons as i think they are not really for the higher handicap golfer.

re: mizuno mx 15 irons
user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 15:25

It can only be a swing fault, Jason. although  the clubs being longer than standard does not help.

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 15:47

Jason. the clubs are ideal for you as they are what is now termed improvers clubs. I would have no trouble hitting them well at all and neither should you.

I am surprised that your teaching pro has not solved the problem for you.

Hitting the big ball before the small ball is caused by too early a release on the downswing and the easiest way to solve this problem, in my opinion, is to maintain the angle of the wrists that has been set at the top of the backswing and then concentrate on hitting the ball with both hands as opposed to attempting to hit it with your right hand only. This will keep your hands in the correct position and the release will be automatic.

I could solve your problem in ten minutes on the range and have you hitting the ball straight every time.

user38216
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 16:15

John, how much do you charge for a lesson?  Is the ten minute promise a money back offer!! 

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 17:00

David, assuming you are not attempting to extract the ur*ne it is well known that I offer my help to anyone who requests it and have never had a failure yet.

Of course there might be a person out there who does not have the brain to absorb instruction, but as of this moment in time I have had a very good success rate. Two achieved scratch and became professionals 40 others at my old club became single figure handicap players and many higher handicap players have moved into the teens.

I currently have one golfer under my wing, so to speak, who has reduced his handicap from 28 to 18 in three months. I would call that a success, wouldn't you?

user38216
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 20:21

I think you assumed that I was taking the pee. Not the case, not sure I would fancy a lesson if you offer instruction in the same tone as your forum comments.

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 20:32

Well then, David it looked as though you were spoiling for something mentioning money, when you know I am an amateur golfer, just like yourself.

I can be very abrasive if I feel threatened but i am sure you will find that I am very personable person face to face, whose only interest is to try and help everybody to play this game to their fullest potential.

The fact that I am prepared to offer my time alone should tell you that I have other players in mind.

I spent five minutes with your friend Paul Williams at the Belfry, so ask him whether I know what I am talking about.

user38216
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 20:58

At no stage have I said that you do not know what you are talking about. I have a lot of respect for people who have more ability than I have.

I just consider your approach a little blinkered in that you will not consider opinions from others.

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 21:04

This thread was about a forum regular having trouble with his irons. I have offered my input, none of which could be considered contentious.

Your first post in this thread was:

John, how much do you charge for a lesson?  Is the ten minute promise a money back offer!! 

Rather unusual to post off topic for the first post, don't you think. You were being antagonistic and now you are upset because I called you on it.

I only try to help people and I can handle comments from anyone, no matter how rude they get.

user38216
Reply : Mon 8th Jun 2009 14:28

Totally tongue in cheek! I would pay any price for a swing lesson that would sort me out in ten minutes, as I am sure most of the golfing community would do!

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 8th Jun 2009 15:25

David,

I normally find that a pint of bitter shandy is the price for 10 minutes of John's time.  And it will be 10 minutes well spent.  John notices the little things that make a big difference and suggests tweaks that are easy to maintain instead of total rebuilds. 

Oh and by the way, like Paul I also took your comment in the way it was intended.  To be fair to John he has took quite a bit of unwarranted abuse of late and this means he gets defensive quite quickly.  I'm sure a couple of months ago he would've took your comment in the way it was intended. 

user52922
Reply : Mon 8th Jun 2009 20:00

Shaddup your face, Santo. you know I am a pheasant plucker.

user52922
Reply : Mon 8th Jun 2009 22:47

Paul, there are many schools of thought on how a golf club should be swung, but the bottom line is that there are only a few fundmentals that have to be correct to achieve a consistent flight of the ball.

There is no advantage in attempting to change a persons swin,g as I have found that it is impossible. All I do is use what they have but tweak it so that the fundamentals I have mentioned are incorporated into the swing.

It really is a simple method that I adopt, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and I have never failed to get anyone hitting the ball down the range, using their own swing, with a nice soft draw. It only takes me ten minutes to achieve this and it costs nothing.

Last edit : Mon 8th Jun 2009 22:48

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top