Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Tee height for irons

Posted by: user16742 | Sat 6th Jun 2009 21:40 | Last Reply

Think i have been doing this wrong how high do you tee the ball up for iron shots. I normally just have mine just above ground level, but reading the magazine your supposed to hit irons off the 6th grove so that would meen teeing it up higher.

re: Tee height for irons
user52922
Reply : Sat 6th Jun 2009 22:47

Personally Matt, I find it very difficult to play an iron off a tee peg, no matter what height I set the tee at. I much prefer to play them off the deck, as that is what I have to do throughout the course anyway.

A ball hit off a tee will not travel as far as one hit off the deck.

user52922
Reply : Sat 6th Jun 2009 23:29

There is no resistance if on a tee and it is the resistance with the turf that provides the power. Experiment and see for yourself, Ian.

user115085
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 09:08

I'm with you guys. I find hitting a ball off a tee with an iron rather unpredictable. With irons I tend to hit down on the ball and with the ball off the ground it's going to come higher off the club face, try and compress on the tee and lose distance and spin. Always tee my woods though.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 10:54

I always use the little orange castle tees for my iron shots.

Now if the tee box is very good then I might be tempted to sit the ball up on the grass.  But normally the tee box is a bit sparce of grass so I use the small tee.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 14:40

It is not a perfect lie for me to have my ball stuck on a tee when I am playing an iron. If it suits you, then fine.

user38216
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 15:07

I use a blue castle tee 3-5 iron and a red up to PW.  Orange for SW on those bizarre 90 yard par 3's that you find from time to time. I hit my 3 and 4 iron well off the tee but not too well off the deck. I must say that being on the tee has to be a perfect lie as it is consistent, where as ground conditions are not. Just shows that we all have difference preferences.

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 15:28

No matter what course I play on I always manage to find grass good enough for me to put the ball on to play the short holes.

It is not consistent using different height tees for different irons.

Like I said, if it suits you, fine, but I much prefer to play irons as they are normally played, off the turf.

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 15:40

Like I said, Matt you can do whatever you wish on a short hole. If you feel like changing your swing to accommodate the ball being higher, then that is fine by me. I, however, do not feel the need for this as I am a pretty good iron striker off the deck and have no wish to alter my swing to accommodate a higher ball position.

If you had played with me in Spain in the early 80's then you would have seen me drop a ball on the tee and hit driver.

user38216
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 16:13

Consistent - constant to the same prinicples. Irons are different lengths and lofts, taking a higher tee on the long irons, lower tee on the shorter irons all of the time when on the tee.  Sounds like consistency personified. I've made my point.

Most of the small par 3's i have encountered - West Mids Golf Club springs to mind, request that a tee peg is used, otherwise I would agree that a wedge is best played on the deck.

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 16:35

Ah!, now I see, David, you are clever enough to be able to mentally workout the required tee height to get the optimum result, no matter what iron you wish to use. I am afraid that I do not possess that level of skill, so do what I have to do all the time with an iron, that is play if off the deck.

Your point has gone right over my head and I will also sdy that I completely disagree with it.

user38216
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 16:48

I am clever enough to do far more than work out the required height of a golf tee. I have found what works for me and clearly you have found what works for you.  I would therefore suggest that we agree on that.

PS - How can you disagree with something you do not understand?

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 17:06

You are obviously spoiling for an argument and I am just the one to give you the opportunity to really impress me. Unfortunately you are talking a load of rubbish as I have never seen a pro use different tee heights on a short hole to suit the club, they all push it right into the ground and still take the divot after the ball. Most amateurs will nver take a divot if they tee the ball up. Of course you are different in that you are able to do all this from a high tee.

user38216
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 20:17

I am not spoiling for an argument, my last comment suggests that we agree to disagree and you respond with I am talking a load of rubbish.

I wouldn't lower myself to get into a personal argument, not worth it.  You seem to make a habit of it.

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 20:27

And I stand by that statement, it is a load of rubbish and you have failed to prove your argument.

user38216
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 20:30

I repeat, I am not getting into an argument therefore I have nothing to prove.  The next 3 iron that sails 220 yards down the middle of the fairway is proof enough for me.

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 20:36

3 iron 220 yards means you are up with the best, even my friend David Ley 6.7 handicap only hits a 3 iron 210 yards.

With that ability I am surprised that you appear to be incapable of repeating that shot off the deck instead of only off a tee. I suppose you resort to a rescue club then, do you?

user38216
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 20:50

No only got a 2H to help me out when its in the rough stuff, I hit that really well off the deck.

Please let me know exactly where in my post I suggest I am incapable of hitting them off the deck. The phrase "not to well" is not the same.

I suggest that you use offensive remarks to bring a normally well mannered forum into argument.

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 20:58

So now you are claiming to be the innocent party in this discussion, why am I not surprised. This usually happens when one has lost the argument.

Personally I could not care less whether or not you use a tee on a short hole. I have already said that I don't and offered the reasons why. Because I disputed your reasons for using a tee at various heights for all the different irons you use, you have taken affront at this and made sarcastic innuendos. To suggest that you are the one who is debating politely is rather ridiculous.

It is strange how some people get uptight when they feel they are being questioned.

user38216
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 21:04

John

I am not uptight.

Innocent party? I'm just offering my opinion. Please let me know where, within my posts I am not being polite. Oh by the way, when you are considering this, think about the following first

Ridiculous, incapable, rubbish, failed, argument - glass houses and stones  maybe.

user38216
Reply : Mon 8th Jun 2009 14:25

Paul, I agree, see my post at 16:48 suggesting exactly that. Sorry you had to be involved.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top