Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

The best ever 9 hole you've played?

Posted by: user23840 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 6th Jun 2009 10:07 | Last Reply

I played Eltham Warren yesterday, a course I've known most of my life but never played.

I got to say, it's a little cracker. James Baird designed in 1890 a real cracker, that shows a course doesn't have to be massive, with greens like the Himalayas, and rough like the jungle of Borneo to be challenging.

I wasn't too chuffed with my 94, but one of the members in the clubhouse told me of an American +1 golfer who thought he could bash his way round the course. On his 1st outing he shot 89 a net 90. Makes my net 76 seem quite superb.

Anyone else have any little gems?

It's £30 for the day, and I'd say it's well worth it, and the society prices are quite good. I know it's only 9 holes, but they are all cracking holes.

re: The best ever 9 hole you've played?
user23840
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 10:01

No one else have a nice little 9 hole they like to play?

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 10:49

David, the nine holes at St. Georges Hill you are referring to are still there and were one of the three loops of nine the course originally had, but this particular loop was closed during the war and not re-opened until after the war. This nine was the equal of the main 18 in every respect.

I have not been back myuself for 15 years but I have just googled earth the course and this nine is still there.

user23840
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 11:31

Loops of 9 don't count. Just a stand alone 9 hole. The discription of Royal Worlington, sounds very much like Eltham Warren.

user23840
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 11:42

Anyone ever played http://www.limpsfieldchartgolf.co.uk/index.html ?

user23840
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 11:43

Looks like they've made it 3 loops of 9 now.

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 11:43

David, you must remember the long par three second hole with the green cut into the bank on the right with nothing but trees along the side the hole. Quite often played a threewood to this hole myself. Then the long downhill par five to follow, which I have eagled.

Last edit : Sun 7th Jun 2009 11:53
user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 11:51

In 1964 when I was an artisan member we had to play this loop as our second nine, after playing the front nine of the main course, at the week-ends only, the rest of the week we could play the main 18 holes.

I never considered it as a loop of the course because very few people played on it.

On those days everyone was a member at a club and green fee payers were very rare and not encouraged. Today, of course no one wishes to join a club, for different reasons, but is prepared to pay green fees whenever they want a game.

Royal Worlingham is a famous golf course of nine holes, as is Holtye golf club on the A264 between East Grinsted and Tunbridge Wells,but I have never had the opportunity to play there so cannot offer any contribution as to its quality.

I have played Holtye and it is a great course, well worth a visit. Four hundred yards past Holtye is one of my old clubs Sweetwoods Park, which is a fantastic golf course.

user23840
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 13:07

Holtye looks nice.

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 14:42

Holtye is nice, Danny, I can assure you, and not far from you.

user23840
Reply : Sun 7th Jun 2009 18:26

May have to venture there John.

user215327
Reply : Fri 26th Mar 2010 18:30

Traigh west coast of Scotland stunning.

user247577
Reply : Tue 13th Apr 2010 23:12

If you are in West Yorkshire. Try Crow Nest Park. recently voted one of the top 10 nine holes in the "world" by a golf magazine ( sorry cannot remember which mag) its a course whee you dont need to be big hitter, you have to be accurate to avoid the very mature trees. very well priced. 

user250721
Reply : Tue 27th Apr 2010 00:49

I'd be interested to hear what you chaps would feels makes a 9 Holer and "good" 9 holer

The reason I ask is because I hve only just taken up golf and I have played a course local to me called Clare Golf Course...been round it 5 or 6 times and its very tricky, but I'm finding it very useful to polish off the short game.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top