Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

practice round tips

Posted by: user16742 | Wed 3rd Jun 2009 09:20 | Last Reply

Im off to a new course today to play a practice round before the compertition on saturday.

What should i be looking out for when i play. The main reason im going is i have heard theres a few blind shots. obviously i dont have time to make a yardage book :P .

But what should i be looking to get from this round 

re: practice round tips
user25349
Reply : Wed 3rd Jun 2009 09:23

Why not buy a yardage book from the shop and make notes in it as you go round?

Maybe you should play the hole as you see it, then when you're walking to your ball, make a mental note of things to avoid or which side of the fairway is best to keep to and any other tips that may suit your game.  Then at each tee, make a quick note in your book, then come competition day you can refer to your notes and play the hole the best way that suits your game.

user40826
Reply : Tue 16th Jun 2009 07:10

My father in law and I always play a practice round before the competition even its a course we know.

Our society was playing Gorsty Hill in Crewe last Saturday and we went for a round on the Tuesday before.  This helped me no end as I had never played the course before.  Great for club selection on the Par 3's, good for lay up spots on Par 5's and more importantly get to know the speed and directions of the greens.

I shot an 83 on my practice round - 40 points. I felt confident on the course during the competition I saved 3 shots and shot an 80 - 42 points including 11 pars.

My society handicap is now down to 12.8 thanks to that win!

I cant recommened a practice round enough. 

Last edit : Tue 16th Jun 2009 07:11
user50354
Reply : Tue 16th Jun 2009 08:50

I never have a practice round before the main event.

I always rely purely on my natural talent and skill together with awareness of what is happening around me coupled with my inner ability to focus purely on the task in hand and play the course as I find it...

I usually play cr*p like and come last but hell who cares....

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top