Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Coaching in the South Birmingham area

Posted by: user230069 | Tue 2nd Jun 2009 22:48 | Last Reply

I've decided to look into getting some coaching and wondered if anyone could recommend a good coach local to me. I'm more interested in quality than price (though let's not get carried away here, David Leadbetter would really need to be offering a whopping discount!).

Also any general tips like "video coaching is a must" or "playing coaching is useless" would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone.

re: Coaching in the South Birmingham area
user26342
Reply : Mon 15th Jun 2009 13:00

Ian,

I found that video lessons were really good for me as I could relate the advice being given to actual images etc.

I think a playing lesson should come after you have got the foundations of a good solid swing.

Where about the in South Birmingham are you?

John.

user26342
Reply : Mon 15th Jun 2009 14:00

Ian,

Funny you should mention Brandhall because that's where I had my lessons. I started off with 5 video lessons & then had 1 a month until my handicap dropped to 18. I can recommend Karl who is the pro there. Now I've joined a private club I have my lessons from the pro.

Try ringing Cocks Moor & ask them why you should go to them & what you could expect. Ask about promotions etc. If you play there regular try seeing if anyone else has had lessons & get their opinion.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 15th Jun 2009 15:55

Hi Ian,

Sorry for not posting earlier for a fellow sufferer but I also had lessons at Brandhall (on John's recommendation).  Karl knows what he is doing and the video lessons really do make a huge difference.  The only misgiving I had was that he was trying to completely rebuild me and that wasn't what I was after, but if you're fairly new to the game it would suit you. 

If I remember rightly, it was £75 for 5 lessons with video analysis plus a playing lesson.  Cracking value. 

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 15th Jun 2009 16:26

It all depends on if you want COACHING or TEACHING?

What is the difference you may ask?

A Coach will assist you with your natural ability and show you how to improve while knowing what you are changing.

A Teacher will tell you how it should be done and on most occasions not tell you why it should be done that way.

Having Video Lessons is also good because you can then see what you are doing.

Good luck.

TheLyth

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 15th Jun 2009 22:02

Ian,

"Natural Ability" is not always GOOD ability, is what is natural to you!

user41897
Reply : Sun 26th Jul 2009 18:52

On the subject of video, and not in the way you have been discussing, I found the videos by Rickard Strongert on Videojug very good.

I have downloaded a few to my mobile and watch them and try to emulate at the range.  Well worth a view.  Availabe on the videos part of this site and at  http://www.videojug.com/user/RickardStrongert

user52922
Reply : Sun 26th Jul 2009 19:30

I concur, Andy, Richard is indeed very good. Explains everything in a nice simple way.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top