Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Lost My Swing!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 1st Jun 2009 22:58 | Last Reply

For the last two weeks I've been swinging my clubs so well.

The drives were going straight(ish!) and the irons were being hit with a lovely draw.

Then last Saturday I turned up to try and get into one or our golf club majors, but they didn't allow late entries.

So I hit a few balls on the practice ground to warm up then went over to the Priors course to play 18 holes.

Well I was a different person!

My drives were poor but even worse was my irons.  Everything had a big draw/hook.  And the contact between ball and club was lousy.

I played on Sunday and the same thing happened.

The agency didn't call me today so I went on the practice ground to try and sort it out.  Well it worked to a fashion.  Every 5th or 6th shot was a good one, the rest were poor.

I tried everything but nothing seemed to work.

Most of the shots go slightly left of my target line and then have a big draw/hook.

Any ideas?

Russ

re: Lost My Swing!
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 2nd Jun 2009 00:15

Russ,

It may be as simple as loss of alignment and posture, which then gets your swing tempo out of sorts.

Go back to basics, check each section of your set-up and I believe you will find the answer.

TheLyth

user26342
Reply : Tue 2nd Jun 2009 15:23

Russ,

sometimes when this happens your confidence dips & you start worrying about hitting the ball rather than relaxing & just swinging.

I sometimes pop my ipod on &  listen to music whilst practising as it takes my mind off things.

I also read a good practice drill recently where it said that you should try to hit 5 perfect shots on the range one after the other to replicate the pressure on the course. I found that when I did this I went onto the course full of confidence.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 2nd Jun 2009 23:47

Thanks for the advice.

I went onto the practice ground on Monday.

There are 200 balls in my practice ball bag and I hit 150 of them down the range.

I would say a third of them where great/good shots, a third were ok and the other third were bad.

There were a few things I tried, like slowing down my swing, etc.

My next game for the golf club in the Jubilee Cup is this Saturday, away to Stock Brook Manor GC, so I hope things get better for then.

Russ

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 3rd Jun 2009 20:55

Great news, normal service has been resumed.

I played at Risebridge GC today and shot 83, no bad shots.

The only problems were some of my chips were not as good as they have been and the greens were wet, so putting was a problem.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top