Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Could an injury help?

Posted by: user23840 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 27th May 2009 19:40 | Last Reply

I had the day off to play some golf today. I woke up with a stiff right shoulder, not sure how, but it was fairly stiff.

You know what though, I believe it helped me shoot 84 (not a very difficult course, but it was windy and raining, and I didn't putt very well).

The reason I say this is, I struggle with my tempo, and as JP pointed out last week, my right shoulder was getting ahead of the ball at impact, causing a bad fade/slice. You'll be pleased to know John, I was getting a slight draw again.

Lets just hope my shoulder stays bad long enough to regain some form.

re: Could an injury help?
user23840
Reply : Wed 27th May 2009 22:59

No deep heat for me.

user23840
Reply : Fri 29th May 2009 16:35

Still got my sore shoulder, just need to get out before the sun goes.

user79118
Reply : Sat 30th May 2009 05:57

I suffer from Sciatica (trapped nerves in my back). Went out and played 18 anyway cos sometimes the exercise helps. Couldn't do a full swing but guess what, shot 80. The restriction seemed to keep me straight, as other people have said, you can't overswing. See what happens today on the Gtour.

user99350
Reply : Sat 30th May 2009 11:26

84 off 18??

user52922
Reply : Sat 30th May 2009 11:56

I know, Patrick, makes you sick, doesn't it. Danny is a lovely swinger, which, with his powerful physique, sends the ball miles without any effort. It is about time he started to score to his capabilities and I, for one, am very pleased to see it.

user99350
Reply : Sat 30th May 2009 12:16

He said it was windy John, i hope he didn't lose his sombrero. 

user52922
Reply : Sat 30th May 2009 12:19

I have played with Danny, Patrick and no one wishes to get lower in handicap than him. I hope he has now started to show the form he is well capable of. He has the potential to be a bandit, but I am sure he will not mind that.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 30th May 2009 22:05

I recently played in my club pairs matchplay game.

We played against a six handicapper and one who was playing off fifteen.

I woke up with a sore back, played the game of my life and we beat them 2 and 1

Having a bad/sore back probably helped me to swing smoothly.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Wed 23rd Sep 2009 18:14

Also fractionally quicker, Stuart.

user79118
Reply : Thu 24th Sep 2009 20:14

My sciatica came back today but decided to play anyway. Nothing too special on the front 9 being 6 over at the turn but I must have aggravated my back during this half and decided to take 3/4 swings on the back 9. Came in level par for the back resulting in my best round on my home course. Don't know if I want the sciatica to go now.

user52922
Reply : Thu 24th Sep 2009 20:21

No one wants to keep sciatica, Chris, but that was a good round and the new shortened swing will reap rewards for you.

Stuart had a problem with his wrist when I played with him, but some of the shots he played with a shorter swing were top drawer, in fact one to the ninth on the Waterloo was particularly impresssive.. A very narrow green, ball flighted in very low but checked up wonderfully. Nice to see.

Last edit : Thu 24th Sep 2009 20:28
user79118
Reply : Thu 24th Sep 2009 20:26

Thanks John. I'll have to try and play a full round keeping the thought of a 3/4 swing in my head. It may just be the secret that I've been searching for.

user52922
Reply : Thu 24th Sep 2009 20:31

In my opinion there really is no need for a full swing because effort to hit the ball comes very late in the downswing and the follow through determines the trajectory you wish to make.

I find it is a much more controlled way of playing and certainly, for me, much more accurate.

user79118
Reply : Thu 24th Sep 2009 20:45

I could certainly see an improvement in the accuracy John especially from 5 iron through to wedge. Even the fairway woods seemed to be a better connection and flew straight as an arrow. Still learning after 30 years.

user52922
Reply : Thu 24th Sep 2009 20:52

That is the beauty of this game, Chris, we learn something new everytime we play.

The problem for me is remembering what I did when the end result is what I am looking for.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top