Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Divots

Posted by: user211211 | Wed 27th May 2009 09:09 | Last Reply

Hi guys,

Ive seen a lot of responses to questions on here telling people to look at there divots to help get an understanding of where ther bad shots might be going wrong. The thing is I dont and cant take a divot when I hit the ball, i take the ball cleanly off the ground with at the most a scrape mark on the floor.

Does this mean that i am not hitting the ball properly?

re: Divots
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 29th May 2009 20:36

sounds like you are taking the turf before the ball.  you want to hit the ball and then take the divot.

be commited and follow through with the swing if you take the dirt, dont choke out

user52922
Reply : Fri 29th May 2009 20:37

Taking a divot with an iron club is essential to give one the control that one is looking for. The depth of the divot is what is probably causing you the problems of a hurt hand, way to deep. You must be digging for the ball.

user52922
Reply : Fri 29th May 2009 22:02

Well Alex, you are happy with your wedges, you hit the ball straight and long enough so how come you are scoring like a cricketer.

user52922
Reply : Sat 30th May 2009 10:21

I am not arguing with you Alex, just picking up on what you have said in different posts and pointing out that you are contradicting yourself. There is  no shame in shooting the scores you are currently doing as we have all beeen there, I can assure you. My highest score was 124, if that is any consolation to you.

Last edit : Sat 30th May 2009 10:36
user52922
Reply : Sat 30th May 2009 11:53

At the target, Alex.

user41897
Reply : Sat 30th May 2009 14:06

I realise that a divot should be made if you strike the ball correctly however on many courses with rock hard fairways it is often very difficult to do.

I recall playing on an impeccable course in the USA a few years back and playing off the fairways was like chipping off a pat of butter - the fairway gave no resistance at all - lovely.  Only thing there though was because the course was in such fine condition I didn't like to damage it by digging a hole!

I guess that is the difference between decent courses anywhere, and the cheaper pay per play jobs.  If the fairways are not watered they are harder to play off...

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 30th May 2009 22:12

If you hit a bad shot stand behind your divot and look where it is pointing.  It should be pointing exactly where you were aiming.

This is for normal iron shots and not wedge shots or lob shots.

Also check the depth of the divot, is the divot deeper on the outside of the divot or on the inside?  The divot should be the same depth all the way through, if it's not get the lie of your clubs checked.

Russ

Last edit : Sat 13th Jun 2009 21:58

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top