Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Help, Pulling the ball!

Posted by: user25349 | Tue 26th May 2009 22:07 | Last Reply

Guys & gals,

I need some advise or tips if you can help please?

I have sort of taught myself how to play a draw shot.  When I say sort of, I mean I can play it, just not 100% percent of the time.  Now what I find is if I address the ball to hit a straight shot to my target, I pull the ball and its really frustrating me! I'd rather not draw the ball if it means I get a straight shot back!

Am I turning my hands over through impact? How do I stop it?

Any help or advice would be greatly received.

Cheers

Lee

Last edit : Tue 26th May 2009 22:08
re: Help, Pulling the ball!
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 26th May 2009 23:24

Matt cheers for that.  Been working on some swing changes to remove my slice and today have been pulling   I notice the left facing divot so your explanation helps me as I knew I had the out to in when having the slice.  If I did get it right it was nice and straight or a very slight draw

Guess back to working out the out to in 

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 27th May 2009 08:24

Perhaps a video in slow motion will help the guys on here give some good advice Lee.

Last edit : Wed 27th May 2009 08:52
user25349
Reply : Thu 28th May 2009 10:58

I'll try get a video up early next week.. Cheers..

user52922
Reply : Sat 4th Jul 2009 17:34

Welcome Ian, I see you are finally starting to post having been a member for some time.

There are many players on this forum looking for sound advice and it is unfair to state things as fact when they are not. You are entitled to your opinion and that is what you should say it is, or some people will be thinking that what you are saying is gospel.

your body is simply on the wrong swing plane

The swing plane is most easily visualized as the plane that the shaft of the club or the clubhead's arc describes during the swing, the body has only reacts to these movements.

If you was turning your hands over to quickly on the swing plane to hit a straight shot, you'd draw or hook it.

The hands should never be turned over before impact either slowly or quickly, they should, however return to the starting position when they were square to the line of intended flight. The rolling over of the right arm over the left occurs after impact and is a natural and automatic happening. That is my opinion.

We all have our own ideas as to how this game should be played, think of how many different offerings there are from the many resected professionals making a living by teaching, but although they have different ideas, the bottom line is that the club must be square at impact and how we arrive at this is what makes the discussion of golf the great topic that it is.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 5th Jul 2009 17:21

Good advice from Matt and Ian, but there is one other thing that may cause it and I know it was the cause of me doing it.  Address the ball in the usual manner so you are ready for the takeaway.  Now grip tightly with your left hand.  If the clubface closes, you simply have too strong a grip i.e.your left hand is rotated clockwise around the grip too far. 

Get in front of a mirror and have a look how many knuckles are showing - it should be one to two max.  By the way, I have Dave Ley to thank for this advice and don't claim that I this is definitly your issue.  Worth checking though as I had exactly he same problem. 

user77012
Reply : Sun 5th Jul 2009 17:39

Lee read tis thread  started by Hugh Reid  a while back should be enough here to help you.

http://www.golfshake.com/forums/view/2697/pull_hook.html

Dave.

user25349
Reply : Sat 11th Jul 2009 21:13

I've always had a pretty strong grip, as anything lighter feels like the club will go flying! Maybe its because I have small hands?

Having checked though Chris, you're right, when I tighten my grip the club face does close... However, the dramatic pull seems to have disappeared now, but I'm still willing to try new things, so thanks Chris, I now have a fix in place for the tight grip, and Mr Ley, I am going to try the drills you have outlined in your thread and will let you know how I get on with it!

Thanks all.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top