Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Putter inserts

Posted by: user16742 | Mon 18th May 2009 08:41 | Last Reply

Been having trouble with the greens recently and lost a bit of confidence in my putter.
I use a riff barbados mallet with the metal groved face. after spending a but more time on the practice green i have improved alot. though im still 3 putting more than getting a 1 putt.
Was out with a low handicapper yesterday and although i played well nett -1 he did say that it was my putting that was letting me down. and that sometimes i hit the ball to softly and sometimes to hard. so i just need something to help even out my swing. I do like to briong the putter straight back and through though from time to time i get a little figure of 8 going at the back.
going up to pro shop on thursday to try some putters out ( i like the spider and the sabertooth) though the pro did say its notmally he one you least expect that sinks most putts.

So do whats the difference in like the putters with the inserts to the metal ones.
also what about mallet or blade?

Last edit : Mon 18th May 2009 08:42
re: Putter inserts
user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 18th May 2009 11:38

I think the difference is preference.

You will not get much use out of what other people use as it is such a personal thing. I prefer mallet to blade but my partner prefers the blade variety.

user16163
Reply : Mon 18th May 2009 13:24

Hi Matt

i also had problems with my putting from pulling to pushing putts of all lengths and not really getting the correct speed (although the speed issue was probably just me not reading the greens properly), i also had a problem with decelerating on the putts esecially those butt clenching 2-3 footers

at the north vs south 2008 we had phil gazeley giving free putting tips in conjunction with his own putter grip the 2 thumb grip (which is currently being used by miguel angel himinez on tour), after which i decided i was going to get the grip put on my putter (although it did take 1yr to do) and it has along with a couple of tips given to me greatly improved my putting ( mental or just me doing what i should be)

but i would suggest that if your happy with the current putter then stick with it and get lessons or do both get a new putter and lessons, start from scratch and see if that helps

user99350
Reply : Mon 18th May 2009 13:39

Matt, Id get your putting action sorted first before considering anything.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top