Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

My New Club

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 14th May 2009 21:18 | Last Reply

I've just been down to American Golf and purchased myself a Mizune MP67 iron.

I am at that stage now where I'm thinking about changing my irons.

At the moment I'm playing with some Yonex V-Mass 270 irons.  Really nice clubs and I've enjoyed using them.

As my handicap has come down I'm thinking of changing irons, and I'm unsure as to buying a set of blades or not.

So when I was in American Golf I tried this Mizuno MP67 iron, it's a six iron and it has a stiff shaft.  I've discussed getting some new irons with my club pro and he told me to get stiff shaft.

So I hit a few shots with the iron and it felt good, the impact tape was showing that I was hitting the ball from the centre of the club.

When I asked they told me it was £10, but when I got to the till they only charged me £5!

I won't use it during a round of golf, only on the practice ground.

If I hit it well then I won't be worried about buying a new set of irons, if I don't hit it well then I'll stick with what I've got for another year.

Russ

re: My New Club
user50843
Reply : Thu 14th May 2009 21:29

Whats making you think about changing your irons Russell, just wondering.

user99350
Reply : Thu 14th May 2009 23:25

Russ, you're going to hsve to accept that with any new clubs there'll be some difference to your old club. When I got my present set I was heart broken that I was losing a lot of distance but the control far outweighed this. My experience is that if you're comfortable with a club enough to buy them then you must commit to them, blades or not. If you are a consistent striker then you've got to seriously consider blades. The stiffer the shaft will help accuracy but in my view will lose you distance.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 15th May 2009 19:15

Tony, I don't really know why I'm thinking about changing my irons!  I'm just thinking that my present irons don't give me what I want.  My handicap has come down quickly and I would like to be able to shape my shots more than I am at the moment.

This club is second hand, by new I meant new to me! 

Paul, if the same thing happens to me then I would be happy.

I'll let everyone know how I get on with this club.

Russ

user52172
Reply : Mon 18th May 2009 13:49

Hi Russ,

I bought a demo Cleveland Gold 6 Iron and used it last week on a round and was striking the ball lovely. Went to the range later that day and was swapping between my Dunlop (starter kit) 6 iron and the Cleveland, I was constantly hitting straighter and at least 15 yeards longer.

I've tried plenty of irons in the shop but found using it on the course and down the range helped me decide that I wanted them and as said above am now committed to them and will be using them at the Shire this Friday at society outing.

I look forward to getting my score down below 100 for good in the near future.

Brian

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top