New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What Is The Stroke Index?

Posted by: user215570 | Sun 10th May 2009 18:52 | Last Reply

can sum1 explain stroke index to me

Last edit : Mon 11th May 2009 21:10
re: What Is The Stroke Index?
user34817
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 20:17

As far as I know stroke index determines how hard the hole is i.e. stroke index 1 would be the hardest on the course and stroke index 18 the easiest.

user34817
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 20:30

Just adding to that, the stroke index will work alongside your handicap to determine how many strokes for that hole you get.  For example, an 18 handicapper would get one extra shot on each hole = 18 extra shots.  If you have a handicap of 23 you would get one shot on every hole plus one extra on stroke index 1-5 (18+5=23).

user81455
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 21:45

Stephen, like you I was interested in how the Stroke Index was worked out.  Although it does indicate which are the most difficult holes there were some other considerations in setting it.  You will notice that if set correctly that the two nines of the round are evenly matched and that low numbers do not tend to appear on the first couple of holes and last couple.  This is to avoid a player receiving strokes in match play have a run of holes where they are receiving strokes or having too much advantage at the beginning and end of a round.  So it is not precisely set to show the hardest holes.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 10th May 2009 21:50

Typically the stroke index is worked out by "how hard is it to par the hole off the competition tees".  This is why when you are playing off the yellows you may be thinking to yourself "There's no way that this hole is harder than hole X".  As John has indicated above, if done properly the evens should be on one 9 and the odds on the other with the stoke indices scattered randomly across the nine.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 11th May 2009 19:36

The stroke index is used to calculate your handicap, no matter which course you play at.

Some courses have a stroke index that is equal to the par for the course, so very easy to adjust your handicap.  Other course have a par of 72, but the SSS may be 69.

They try to have the odd numbers on one nine and the even numbers on the other nine.

The SSS is worked out from the back tee for each hole, for a scratch golfer.

The length of the hole and what is on it, bunkers, water, OOB's, etc.

The more trouble the harder the hole.

Russ

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 11th May 2009 20:40

The post is actually ambiguous.

Titled 'what is SSS'

Content 'what is the stroke index'

Regards, Darren.

user99350
Reply : Tue 12th May 2009 08:41

Stephen, if you're playing a 27 hole: each 'course' of nine has an index of 1-9. Once you've established the no of shots received you usually allocate the shots odd SI no's on first 9 and evens on 2nd 9 though local rules will determine.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 12th May 2009 10:42

Played Cleobury Mortimer yesterday. They have 3 loops of nine and state that players with an odd number of strokes get them on the first nine played per your note Pat.  Wasn't a problem for me. 

user34817
Reply : Tue 12th May 2009 18:40

With regards to the title of the thread it started with no title, then changed to what is SSS? and has now been changed to what is stroke index?  That may be why there has been some confusion.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 12th May 2009 19:12

Sorry for the confusion.

I notice there wasn't a title and though it would be easier for people to find if there was a title, but I put the wrong one on this thread.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top