Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Should there be a 5th Major ?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 8th May 2009 15:43 | Last Reply

Obviously we have the golfshake.com Open taking place this year with entrants gaining FREE entry through regional qualifiers

But should the Professional golf world take on a 5th Major such as the Players Championship taking place at TPC at Sawgrass this weekend ?

re: Should there be a 5th Major ?
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 16:20

But at some point shouldn't history move on ?  left unchanged do things not get stagnated and stale so to speak ?   at some point in time everything was new and didn't have history attached

user81455
Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 16:55

Yes the golf majors do need a shake up.  It is absolutely ridiculous to have three majors in the US.  The US PGA should be down graded and one or two other tournaments in different parts of the world should take its place.  The tennis majors with the different surfaces and different times of the year form a much better all round championship test.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 19:00

I think four majors is about right.

Considering how long the golf season is I don't think adding another major would help.

There are two things that get me about the majors at the moment, one is the Masters and the other is having three of them in the US

The Masters is the only major that is played at the same course each year.  Now it might be a spectacle but is it right that one course is guaranteed a major every year.

Then there is the US having three majors.  Golf is now a worldwide sport and with TV it can be broadcast from anywhere in the world.  It seem sensible to move one of the US majors and maybe play one in Australia, or around that area of the world.

I don't think the yanks would be too pleased, but hey it's a global sport after all!

Russ

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 19:26

Wayne, you do have a good point given the length of time we have all been playing golf compared to more 'modern' sports.  

I also think the points about 3 in the US is spot on and as Jon says if you had say British Open, Masters and then the other 2 which went round the world that would surely be a great spectable and take golf to the masses.

user81455
Reply : Sat 9th May 2009 16:27

I like the track you are on Darren but I would prefer UK Open, US Open, Asia Open and Australisia Open.  The US Masters could then be reclassified as World Masters and kept at Augusta with qualification heavily weighted towards performance in the other four majors the previous year.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top