Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Battle Golf Club

Posted by: user10367 | Fri 8th May 2009 13:10 | Last Reply

The above course I played in the mid nineties and found it was a struggle due to the massive undulations throughout the course, have just read a review within the courses link that said euurgh!!!!

Having google earth'd it it's not the one I played?? (that one is only a 9 hole) the one I played is further down the A2100 (towards Hastings) I have the co-ordinates as follows;

50 53 42.99" N   0 32 16.66" E

The reason I mention this is because i remember the course being a good one but noticibly the members (of senior age predominately) only played the front nine because it was hard going on the back nine, on every hole of the back 9 at the tee there was a telephone connected direct to Hastings Hospital incase anyone suffered a cardiac arrest.

Do any members on here know this course and has it changed it's name or has anyone on here played it.??

It's signature hole (TG review 1994) i believe was the 11th Par 3, as it had an elevated Tee to a green some 160' below with water on one side and OB at the back.

The 18th was a raised green some 70' above you and 3 times I hit a wedge onto the green only to see the ball reappear and end up at my feet again as the green sloped from back to front

And even though i was fit those days there was more than one occasion when i had to stop for a moment or two to catch my breath before teeing off during the back nine

re: Battle Golf Club
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 14:23

Its not Hastings Golf & Counrty Club is it?

David

Last edit : Fri 8th May 2009 15:11
Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 15:04

I only have MSN Live Maps on this computer. Google Maps is on the lap-top that my daughter uses 247, well nearly.

Hastings G&CC address is Beauport Park, Battle Road TN37 7BP and has a Range. Its Website is no longer available. This course opened in 1973 and changed hands in 2005. My info gives this course as 3 miles N of Hastings.

Sedlescombe is only 5 miles N of Hastings and is the only other course that uses Hastings in its location. Mind my info is a few years old.

I can find no trace of Hastings GC which just has Battle Road as its address.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 19:02

If you select the 'Golf Clubs' icon on Google Earth it will put a little icon over every golf course.

You can then click on the icon and it will tell you the course name.

Russ

Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 19:15

I've put in the co-ordinates that you gave '50 53 42.99" N   0 32 16.66" E' and they came up with 'Hastings Golf & Country Club'

Russ

Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 19:55

Russ,

Thats something that Wayne and I discussed, a Golf Club can be known by two names. Its correct Title and its local name.

LEEDS GOLF CLUB = Cobble Hall GC, just to name one.

It seems that this Course is under a third name now. BATTLE GC when Wayne played it. HASTINGS GOLF & CC  later and now BEAUPORT PARK GC.

David

Last edit : Fri 8th May 2009 19:56
Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 20:30

Thanks for clearing that up David.

It certainly looks like a nice course, I do like tree lined fairways.

Russ

Reply : Sat 9th May 2009 10:43

Wayne, to help you with your blonde moment do the following exercise   

Start Google Earth

Bottom left hand corner is 'Layers'

Expand 'Places of Interest'

Tick the box next to 'Golf'

Now when you find a golf course on Google Earth it will have a green golfer icon, you can click on that and it will give you the name of the course.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top