Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Trade In Prices

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 7th May 2009 09:45 | Last Reply

I know there are a few people on this forum who work in pro shops/golf shops.

What I'd like to know is how much should I expect to get when trading my old iron in for a new set of irons?

Is there a set amount, say 10 percent of the value of the new irons.

Russ

re: Trade In Prices
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 09:29

Nick, thanks for the answer.

It's always helpful to know how the person in the shop is thinking regarding how much they will give you.

You are correct when you say nobody goes into a golf superstore to buy used clubs!

David, ebay might be the way to go if I do decide to upgrade my irons.

Russ

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 11:53

Nick only touched the surface about VAT killing decent Trade-In prices.

With all the discount Stores about your Trade-In Clubs are only worth the lowest price to start with. So if you buy a £200 Driver that Direct Golf sell a few weeks later for £150 then thats the Starting Value of that Club.

Talking of Trade-Ins, I worked in the Motor Trade for a while and came across a strange Public mentality. They are more interested in what their Car was worth as a Trade-In than how much they had to pay. This is because of the "Glasses Guide" and the suggested value of the car.

So to put that into Golf.

DG offers Nike VR Blades @ £569 against a Normal price of £720. They offer you £169 for your s, so you pay £400. Go into a Pro who offers you £270 for yours and you snap their hand off because you are getting over £100 more for your old sticks. But wait you are actually paying £50 MORE for the Nike VR Blades.

Last edit : Fri 8th May 2009 12:27
user99350
Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 13:14

David, good point which covers all high value commodities. A dealer has a bottom line and anything below that he will not enter into the transaction. The elasticity is in the price of the new item and the trade in. In addition he 'll be confident at what price he can achieve for the trade in.

I bought a brand new car a few years ago from a proper car supermarket (whatever happened to them?) and he'd only offer me £200 for my not so old Astra, when I told him what it was worth 10 x that he just said 'that's as maybe, it's a risk to me and I don't want it'

A couple of exceptions to first para :

a) if a target has to be made and his bonus (or maybe his job) is on the line.

b) if you're d/w an independant who has cash flow problems or is willing to trade off balance sheet which more often than not means leaving out the vat.

Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 18:49

It seems to me that if I do decide to buy some new irons that I will have to concentrate on getting a good deal, maybe paying cash instead of using the credit card!

Then I'll either keep my old irons or put them up on ebay.

Russ

user204647
Reply : Fri 8th May 2009 19:11

Great post David

That is exactly the way things are. Sometimes people just dont see the overall picture, they only want to know what their clubs/car is worth, rather than how much they will be handing over of their hard earned cash.

Reply : Sat 9th May 2009 10:44

Thanks Sean, I've never heard of that site so I'll go and have a look.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top