Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Push right?

Posted by: user128129 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 6th May 2009 21:05 | Last Reply

I have started to swing a bit more with turning my shoulders and less with just lifting my arms. This has led to more positive ball contact, and I am now hitting my tee shots on the side of the ball closest to me.

Trouble is .. I am now hitting most shots dead straight but to the right (push?). Am I am right in thinking this is because the club face is open at contact? I usually play the ball just inside my left heel (front foot). If I move the ball further forward I develope a slice.

Should I address the ball with a slightly closed club face? Or is it to do with what ever my hands are doing ... or not as the case may be.

Your thoughts please ...

re: Push right?
user204647
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 21:33

Paul

At address and the start of you back swing give more thought on keeping the club head square, It's hard when i haven't seen you swing but you could be fanning the blade open a touch.

user83555
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 22:03

Are you getting your 'Dick' facing the target line as a premise to the the finish ? 

user204647
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 22:08

Sorry, Lost me there Colin

user204647
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 23:07

Spot on Paul

There are many reasons why somebody would hit it right but that is in my opinion the most fundamental.

The other being from the top of your backswing you start the downswing clearing your left side (your hips) far to early.

user52922
Reply : Thu 7th May 2009 16:03

This is a course of instruction with which I am unfamiliar.

user38216
Reply : Thu 7th May 2009 16:36

I would suggest that you a not taking the club away from the ball with a wide enough arc. Take the club away until it is parallel to the ground. The leading edge should be pointing up and the shaft will be pointing in line with where you ball will end up on the through swing. You will probably find that the shaft is pointing out right.

user38216
Reply : Thu 7th May 2009 20:36

A poor grip will normally create a slice or a hook rather than sending the ball straight but in the wrong direction.

user26342
Reply : Thu 7th May 2009 20:46

Paul,

sounds to me like your swinging with just your arms & not clearing your hips as suggested by others above.

Dave Ley gave me a tip which has worked wonders. On my downswing he got me to imagine someone pulling one of my belt loops on my right (your left) hand side. It reminds me to start clearing my hips.

Have you not though of getting a few lessons or videoing yourself & posting it on here??

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top