Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Handicap just wont shift!

Posted by: user115937 | Tue 5th May 2009 19:15 | Last Reply

Hi all

Well, since taking this lovely game up back in August last year I have seen my game improve but my handicap tells a different story.  Still playing off 28 (which I am playing to) and I've been regularly playing 1 local course now.  My last 6 rounds on this course have been (Oldest round first)

Gross 102 - 31 points

Gross 94 - 39 points

Gross 99 - 35 points

Gross 99 - 35 points

Gross 97 - 37 points

Gross 98 - 37 points (today 5th May)

The course is a par 69, SSS 65.

My handicap just wont come down...I'm not consistent enough!.  If only I could save myself 4-5 shots a round, my handicap would start to come down a little bit..wouldn't it?.  Sometimes I 3 putt on a few holes or like today i get into a bunker and I take 4 shots from the bleeding thing.  Off the tee, I'm going quite straight....I'm not a big hitter by any means, but straight will do me for now.

Roll on the High Handicap Tour.  Now that will be good for a laugh.  Looking forward to it.

Matt

Last edit : Tue 5th May 2009 19:36
re: Handicap just wont shift!
user115937
Reply : Tue 5th May 2009 19:45

Thanks Pat, there isn't anywhere to practice bunker play locally (at least I dont think there is).  I'm not a member of any club! Putting for me is a strange one.  One day its OK, the next days its pants!  But I shall practice the putting.

Also, the other shot I find difficult is a 40 yard lob shot onto the green....this is a killer for me, I always thin it.  Best practice this one down the range.

user131525
Reply : Tue 5th May 2009 20:16

Keep at it Matt.  I've been stuck around 19 for about 6-7 months then, 2 weeks ago, the sun came out, the wind died down and I shot an 81 gross, my best for a number of years and got a 1.5 shot reduction!

Regarding the lob shot, I worked out a while ago that it was a risky shot for me.  Trying to get under the ball meant I ran the risk of only flopping it a few yards forward by taking too much dirt, or flying it through the green by thinning it.  Now, i only go airborne when there's a hazard to get over.  I try and use the chip and run much more.  I find this is the percentage shot as you can still get a slightly dodgy contact and get the ball reasonably close.  thinking about it, that's probably why my handicap hasn't come down since last summer as it didn't work too well on the wet fairways of the winter!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 5th May 2009 20:35

Two words of wisdom for you all.

1. Don't Chip over something that isn't there.

2. Let the Club lift the Ball, not you.

user115937
Reply : Tue 5th May 2009 21:05

My little bump and run around the green is a bit of a lifesaver for me.  I always opt for this kind of shot if there is no hazard between me and the hole or if the ground is fairly flat with no lumps/sprinkler heads etc.

We'll get there Peter.  I messed up 2 holes today that I needn't have...it seems that when I hit one bad shot another soon follows on the same hole, like I'm dwelling on it too much.

user115937
Reply : Tue 5th May 2009 22:09

Richard - I've been playing Southwood in Farnborough.  Hoebridge is probably about 25 mins away from me.  There must be something a bit closer.

user69191
Reply : Tue 5th May 2009 22:17

Hi Matt,

I see that you've entered 9 rounds in the last month at 5 different courses. Your handicap will come down if you join your local club. This will lead to you wanting to get your money's worth out of the club membership therefore you shall play much more golf, some of it hopefully under competition rules. You'll then get to know the course well and become knowledgable in 'how to play the course'. You'll get to know where you want to play your next shot from and play within yourself, instead of trying a shot that you know you can't rely on from a position on the course you're unfamiliar with.

Paul

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 5th May 2009 23:10

Keep going Matt, you'll get there in the end.

My opinion, go and get a couple of lessons from your pro.

The pro at my club does a one hour lesson on short chipping/putting, it's the same technique as such so he combines the two into one lesson.

Then get a lesson on bunker play, nothing fancy, just enough so you have the confidence to get out of most bunkers in one shot.

Once you've had these lessons then practice them as much as you can.

I'll tell you now that if you do what I've said in one months time you'll have lowered your handicap.

Russ

user99350
Reply : Wed 6th May 2009 19:29

Matt, great advice from David Lythgoe. I think the higher the loft, the greater the risk for the higher handicapper, go for the percentage shot . In bunkers don't stab at it concentrate on a full swing striking the sand 1.5'' behind the ball and you should be out everytime. Also you can practice your putting stroke anywhere. Try this in the lounge at home: two balls parralell so that your putter head fits in between, couple of cm's clear. Practice your putting stroke ensuring you don't hit either ball. Once you've cracked that move the balls closer. This'll help you hit it square. You can then get into your range and reading the greens.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top