Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Old or New?

Posted by: user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 4th May 2009 22:25 | Last Reply

The way the GOLF SHOW Thread was going I thought we could start discussion on the Old and New Technology within its own Thread.

I remember RYDER Irons, the ones advertised in the hands of a Dolly Bird. They came with the revolutionary Heel & Toe weights. Hit them towards either the heel or the toe and you didn't lose as much as you did with the Normal Clubs of the day. Problem was, if you were a good player and hit most shots off the middle of an iron these LOST you distance, so only good for higher Hcp'ers.

I was one of the 1st people in the UK to use a Graphite Shaft, I had the fast hands to be able to control one. Now most club shafts are a form of those origional Aldila Shafts.

Pre Faldo, most Pro's worked the Ball around the course and could produce the goods with anything (as John Pettitt suggests) but after the BIG SWING THING that came with Faldo it became a game where you put a Club into a Swing ala "Arnold Palmers Pro Shot Golf".

I had numerous discussions about how much side spin could be put on a Ball and so how difficult it was to keep the Ball straight. Today it's the opposite. That is why Mickelson put two Drivers in his bag, he couldn't hit one Driver both ways with enough consistancey.

Discuss

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top