Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Trying New Clubs!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 30th Apr 2009 21:55 | Last Reply

Now that I'm back in work and my handicap is getting near to the magical 'Single figure' area I'm looking at getting some new irons.

I would like to get a set of blades and I really liked the Nike VR set of irons.

My question is this.....

Is there anywhere that will let you try a set of clubs for a round or two?

Russ

re: Trying New Clubs!
user99350
Reply : Thu 30th Apr 2009 22:21

I like your choice Russ. I've only had a hold of a sample forged blade six iron the pro at Temple Newsham in Leeds had in back of shop, felt and looked pretty damn good though not much change from £650 I'm told. Darren pointed out that Oulton Hall (GS comp this Sat) has a Nike custom fitting centre.

Last edit : Thu 30th Apr 2009 22:22
user99350
Reply : Thu 30th Apr 2009 22:41

£549? Don't tell me that, I'd just gotten used to talking myself out of them. 

user99350
Reply : Thu 30th Apr 2009 23:22

No, stop it, where are the forum moderators?

user79118
Reply : Fri 1st May 2009 05:26

Russ

Just bought a set of Nike VR split cavities myself. A club near me has a fitting centre where I tried different shaft lengths, grips, lies etc and once I/they was happy with the set up I took a couple of clubs to the practice area for a 2 hour session to see the flight of the ball in real time so to speak. Cost me £537 for 3 - pw, sand iron extra. 1st round saw me stay around my normal round score while I got used to new yardages etc but the 2nd round saw me shave 5 shots off the previous round. Lovely set of clubs and I hope I continue to shave shots off my handicap and you do to.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 1st May 2009 07:58

I really lik the Nike VR range but am not able to justify spending that much on a set of clubs at my level (yet!!)

Hopefully I will in the next year or two!!

user115085
Reply : Fri 1st May 2009 14:16

Russ, try onlinegolf http://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/customer-services/trial.asp

they give you 90 days to test and will give you back 90% of what you paid if you want to change.

...before anyone asks...no I don't have any affiliation etc

----d'oh doesn't look like they have the VR blades.

Last edit : Fri 1st May 2009 14:20
Reply : Fri 1st May 2009 15:03

Thats a unique service but costly if you do want to change - £50 - £60!!

user115085
Reply : Fri 1st May 2009 15:09

think they probably have to else everyone would change every 90 days. lol - that would be good

Reply : Fri 1st May 2009 15:12

Surely people wouldnt changfe if they liked the clubs ?

I see your point though...

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 1st May 2009 23:04

Thanks Chris I'll have to look into this offer.

The problem is that when you try new clubs you are normally on a driving range hitting golf balls off the mats.

What I'd like to do is hit golf balls off the grass, so that I can get the feel for them.

The shop won't want you doing this as you might mark the club, even if they put impact tape over the face!

Russ

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 1st May 2009 23:39

Patrick,

Don't worry, it would cost you £100 to go get them.

Reply : Sat 2nd May 2009 09:42

I don't think that I get the same feeling when I hit a ball off a driving range mat.

One more thing is that I'm trying to take a divot, something I don't do normally and I don't think a mat helps with this.

Russ

Reply : Sat 2nd May 2009 09:57

A mod with a duplicate post?

Tut tut

Going off your other thread, where youre not playing as much, I would hold off getting a new set.

Getting a divot using the mat is easier than most think, just make sure you hit that mat first whilst your swinging!

user99350
Reply : Sat 2nd May 2009 10:16

Quite right David. Anyway I'm hitting my TM's as good as I feel I can and happy with them. Also there's possibility of difference in shafts, grip thickness, time spent reassessing yardages, especially around the 5,6,7 (sometimes I don't see the point in a 6 iron as I rarely use it...I'm convinced I hit my 7 iron further).

user99350
Reply : Sat 2nd May 2009 10:20

Quite right David. Anyway I'm hitting my TM's as good as I feel I can and happy with them. Also there's possibility of difference in shafts, grip thickness, time spent reassessing yardages, especially around the 5,6,7 (sometimes I don't see the point in a 6 iron as I rarely use it...I'm convinced I hit my 7 iron further).

Re Russ's comment re mats and driving ranges: quite right hitting off a mat is totally different to turf and another important point is the type of ball your hitting. Much better I feel to use your own balls and go to the practice area. I'd never consider buying clubs based on driving range shots.

Last edit : Sat 2nd May 2009 10:21
Reply : Sat 2nd May 2009 17:13

Can you believe that I managed to get in a duplicate post!  and me a moderator as well!!!

In my defense my daughter's kitten was walking all over my laptop keyboard whilst I was typing the message.

It has managed to turn the laptop of twice whilst walking across the keyboard.

Russ

Reply : Sat 2nd May 2009 17:38

LOL Russ!!

And that excuse - if I had a penny I heard that one (I didnt buy your ebay item, my cat, dog, baby did - honest)

Reply : Sat 2nd May 2009 23:03

I think I might be cheeky here and send an e-mail to Nike UK and see what happens, it's worth a try right?

I'll post here if I here back from them.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top