Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

My new swing, reasons for extra high ball flight?

Posted by: user85262 | Thu 30th Apr 2009 09:48 | Last Reply

re:  extra high ball flight

I posted last week how I have just managed to make a full back swing (for the first time since I started playing golf approx 3 years ago),  I have to keep going back until I see the club out of the corner of my left eye.  Ive had a problem for years that something in my head stopped me when the ball was there.

Anyway, its like starting from the beginning again & feels totally different.

Ive been to the range several times since I started this new swing and played on the course once.  On the course I started off really well but lost confidence on the back 9 and went to pieces.

The issues I have now are as follows:-

With my irons I am getting a higher ball flight which I am pleased with as this gives me a better chance of landing the ball on the green (especially if there is a bunker in front)  Although the ball is travelling further than before I know that its not coming of the centre of the club face, it doesnt sound like a clean contact and I'm getting the vibration through my wrists.  Any thoughts what the problem might be?

With my 5 wood I am hitting this way too high, not quite a sky shot but almost!  Beforehand I rarely used my wood but if I did the flight tended to be low.

With my driver I am consistantly skying the ball. (wasnt doing this before)

Has anyone any thoughts what may be causing these particularly high ball flights which has only just come about since I started make a full back swing. 

Ultimately, i'd like to be somewhere in between my previous very low ball fall flight and now too high ball flight.

thanks everyone.

John

re: My new swing, reasons for extra high ball flight?
user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 30th Apr 2009 09:54

Hi John,

I would have thought that you are now hitting the ball on the upswing (as in you are hitting the ground with your irons too early) or you are standing with the ball to your left foot too much.

Try to place your stance with the ball in the centre or even to your back leg to try and 'lower' the shots.

The driver's fault is usually the tee height. Have you tried using a smaller tee?

user99350
Reply : Thu 30th Apr 2009 12:20

John, could also be you may have adopted a steeper swing plane which could account for the higher trajectory. Also vibrations would suggest you're striking it on the toe.

Last edit : Thu 30th Apr 2009 12:21
user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 30th Apr 2009 12:38

It really is difficult to advice without seeing your swing.

Can you upload your swing and some of the people on here will soon set you straight!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top