Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Graphite or steel shaft for slow swinger

Posted by: user128129 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 27th Apr 2009 20:50 | Last Reply

Which would be more beneficial to a high handicapper such as moi, a graphite shafted wood or a steel shafted wood? I have a fairly slow swing and struggle to get any real distance off the tee. I have both a steel and graphite 3 wood. The graphite goes further but the steel  (being shorter shaft I suppose) is abit more consistant. I'm wondering which one I should persist with for the best results.

re: Graphite or steel shaft for slow swinger
user52922
Reply : Mon 27th Apr 2009 20:56

This is a problem for everyone. Paul, finding the shaft that is the easiest to hit the ball the distance one requires without it going off in all direftions other than straight.

The stiffer the shaft the less distance it will travel but the more accurate it will be.

I believe that us old guys need graphite as they are softer and give more feel than the steel shaft. Personally I have all graphite shafts now.

user52922
Reply : Mon 27th Apr 2009 22:29

Gripping down the shaft will obviously shorten the arc of the swing and the result will be a shorter shot, but probably with more control. No guarantee of course.

With your handicap Paul, I feel that you do not need to worry about hitting it long, plot your way down the fairway away from all the trouble and take th shot that you have on every hole. You will be surprised how well you score. 200 yds is at the top of my limit and no guarantee that I would be able to produce this distance accurately enough to warrant having a go at it.

At Wokefield After a poor drive I had 260 yards to go, so I played that with two 8 irons as I know I can hit those all day long where I aim.

As to your question I have no idea if their is a crossover point with steel shafts and graphite ones, probably the only person who would know would be David Ley as he builds clubs.

Last edit : Mon 27th Apr 2009 22:47
user99350
Reply : Tue 28th Apr 2009 09:16

Paul, as John mentioned,  I was always under the impression that a stiff shaft would help hit it straighter and a whippier shaft would lend to slices (It does depend on your swing of course) however I have been using a v whippy graphite shafted driver for four months now and can honestly say in the main that the shots are straighter, longer and more consistent than ever. I think you need to try as many out as you can and be open to anything.  

user52922
Reply : Tue 28th Apr 2009 09:39

Patrick, the reason you are able to do this is because you are timing it well. The reason I say this is because my local pro had a swing with my soft/regular Ping G10 and blitzed it as straight as a die, yet if I attempt to hit it hard then I either quick hook it or push it straight right. A stiff shaft straightens me up but it does not go very far as I cannot load the shaft with my very slow swing.

I agree with your last sentence, try everything first before you look at what spec it is and some will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edit : Tue 28th Apr 2009 10:04
user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 28th Apr 2009 09:46

Paul, I think you need to try them all before deciding. It would be impossible to recommend one over the other without seeing your swing and hitting the ball.

Even then, the results with a different shaft would vary! No good saying one is better than the other as it is just not as simple as that.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 1st May 2009 15:09

I find for my irons, steel are better. More accuracy and I dont struggle with distance (only direction )

Woods and driver are graphite though!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top