Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Nomad Golfer or Club Member

Posted by: user38216 | Mon 27th Apr 2009 12:00 | Last Reply

Ive been a nomad golfer since starting to play the game 9 years ago. I play at least once a week and in a society once a month but I feel like Im missing something.

No doubt most club members were nomads at some stage and I would be interested to hear views on pros/cons of both!

re: Nomad Golfer or Club Member
user26342
Reply : Mon 27th Apr 2009 12:41

David,

I found being a nomad golfer I was always reliant on the group of people I played with being available all of the time. If they weren't I struggled to get a game & just turning up at the local muni was a bit russian roulette.

Now I'm a member I don't have that trouble, I just turn up & there is always someone around for a game. Saying that I'm part of a group of about 30 people who turn up on a Sat afternoon for a game so there's always plenty of playing partners.

The social side is superb as well. The drink in the clubhouse afterwards is sometimes the only highlight of the day if I've had a crap round. There are always social events organised as well.

At the moment my club are waiving the £1000 joining on fee for the next 40 members which is a huge saving.

Get yourself a member somewhere & you won't look back.

john.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 27th Apr 2009 13:05

David,

It all depends on what you want from the Game.

Competition As John pointed out, if you are a Member of a Club then you can join in by just putting your name in the mix. Also you get the chance to qualify for some great Comps on nice courses.

Cost If you don't have the funds for a Green-Fee, you can't play (legally that is). Many Clubs have "Evening Country Members". Once you have sorted out your Subs at a Club you can play as much or as little as you like. A quick 4 holes on an evening costs you nothing extra, plus you have all the facilities available.

Recognition Once you are a member of a Club and gain a Hcp you are recognised as a Golfer all over the World. Some Societies are also recognised but not all, just see the problems we had on here when we booked a day at Ganton.

You can have the best of both worlds too. Muni's usually have a Private Club attached to them where you can join for about £100 then pay a Green-Fee each time you play or get a 'Season Ticket'. Do this and you have the recognition, Comp etc and the chance to play almost anywhere you like also. 

user26342
Reply : Mon 27th Apr 2009 16:53

David,

Have you recieved my PM I sent you??

John.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 1st May 2009 15:11

Absolutely Stephen.

As long people play around 3-4 times a month the membership is a no brainer!

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 1st May 2009 18:26

I can even beat that Wayne!

Crown network were trying to get more people to join who are under 30. I get full access to the crown network for £36 per month! No joining fee or annual fee.

On some of their courses it is over £40 a round

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top