Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Buying new clubs

Posted by: user34817 | Tue 21st Apr 2009 16:13 | Last Reply

Hi all,

Well over the last month or so I have tried out some new clubs and have decided what I am going to get.  I had it down to the Callaway X22's and the Callaway Big Bertha 08's.  Having had a session at the Callaway Performance Centre yesterday I will definately be going for the Big Berthas.  They may not be the best looking club in the world but they definately do the job.  I tried half-inch longer DGS300 shafts set 2-degrees up and they went like a dream.  I was hitting the 6-iron 190 yards plus.  They really felt nice.

Whilst I was there I also tried the Diablo 3H Utility and the Diablo Tour 15* Fairway and I think I am going to treat myself to these as well (getting expensive I know!).

Finally, at the end of the session I was taken through to try some of the putters.  I have been trying a lot of putters (not just Callaway / Odyssey) and have found one that really feels good, the Odyssey White Hot XG Teron.  Looks like something out of Star Trek but feels great and very forgiving on off-centre hits.

My question then is this, if you were going to order upwards of £800.00 of golf gear what level of discount would you be looking for?  Surely an order like this and any outlet would be trying to bite your arm off.  I have emailed a couple of places and they just reply with a standard price as set on their website.  I have emailed and asked for their best price but am still waiting for an answer.

P.S. I am a tart and do like my matching clubs but I would not be investing this much money if I was not completely happy with what I was getting :-)

re: Buying new clubs
user24437
Reply : Tue 21st Apr 2009 16:19

I'm not the person to ask, Richard.  I spent £400 on my irons and they were custom built for me, with changes and tweaks included - unfortunately the only thing different is that they don't have a big company logo on them.  

user26342
Reply : Tue 21st Apr 2009 16:22

Richard,

If you know which clubs & what spec then get googling, get some prices & then start playing each company off against each other.

Have you tried the Belfry??

user34817
Reply : Tue 21st Apr 2009 18:23

John,

I have looked at many online stores and have got a fair idea of cost for each item.  I have emailed four or five companies and asked for quotes.  I am still waiting for replies from two or three.  The two that have replied have just given the standard cost, with no discount.  I have asked for their best price and will wait and see what I get.  I have not tried the Belfry but having read previous threads hear that they offer a good sevice so I will have a look.  I will also be asking Direct Golf but want to go in and see someone face to face and see what they will do.

user24437
Reply : Tue 21st Apr 2009 20:19

Have a look at somewhere like this - they built mine http://www.designergolf.co.uk/

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 21st Apr 2009 21:44

See if someone you know who is a member somewhere can get you a discount.  For example, I get 10% off at The Belfry as part of my membership.  That may save some money for you if can't get a discount elsewhere.  Nick is also right that you can often get them to throw in balls or a bag rather than give you a discount. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top