Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

OMG how do i cure this tommy tanks

Posted by: user16742 | Mon 20th Apr 2009 11:58 | Last Reply

Been playing quite well for me, last weekend was compressing the ball and solid contact straight, getting to GIR but my putting let me down.
went out on saturday in a comp that i should have had a good chance at 19-28 cup wiht about 10 entries in and shot 23 over my handicap. I was Tommy tanking all the time. some imes at 90 degrees to the way the ball should be going. I tried slowing everything down and still no luck thing was everyso often i wouold catch a beauty.
I think i have a vary simple swing just back and through so not much can go wrong.

Trying to analize what i was doing wrong can any of this cause the dreaded shank

standing to close to the ball?

I Thought i was getting stuck at inpact and not been able to get to my follow through , leaving me flat footed.

Thing is im now scared to go to the range for if i hit a 90 degree  one that hits the wall and flyes anywhere along the range.

re: OMG how do i cure this tommy tanks
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 20th Apr 2009 12:07

On what part of the Clubhead do you address the ball?

The dreaded Sherman Tank is the nearest Bad shot to a Good shot. You may be getting up to the ball as you discribe but don't worry they go as quick as they come.

user69191
Reply : Mon 20th Apr 2009 14:43

Whenever I get the dreaded s****s (musn't say the word, bit like that Scottish play) its generally because I'm standing too close to the ball, but thats only one of a few causes of it.

Paul

user26342
Reply : Mon 20th Apr 2009 20:55

Matt,

I get these every now & again & my problem is either standing too near the ball or 'falling' forward on the downswing. The way I cure it is to stand a bit further from the ball & try not to think about it!!!

John.

user204647
Reply : Mon 20th Apr 2009 21:06

Hi Matt

I to have had the shanks so i know what it's like.

When you swing keep your weight in a central position and on your downswing don't lean into the shot as in (putting your weight on your left foot), stay behind the ball. You cannot shank if you body is behind the ball.

Hope this helps

Martin

user50354
Reply : Fri 24th Apr 2009 08:46

Does this mean you will be at the samari sword hcap cutting society bash tomorrow..

user50354
Reply : Fri 24th Apr 2009 16:14

Good on ya......

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 24th Apr 2009 20:02

It could be one of many things but i found that when doing this, my swing was incorrect.

Open at the top, in to out through the ball ensuring your elbow is tucked in and ensure you follow through your swing.

Reply : Fri 24th Apr 2009 20:16

Oh and I always line up on the toe of the club or I mishit every shot!!

user52922
Reply : Fri 24th Apr 2009 20:20

Someone has been paying attention.

Reply : Fri 24th Apr 2009 20:36

I am still trying to actually put what you have showed me in practice consistantly on the course John but it is good when things are not going well that I now have an idea of why!

We still on for tomorrow?

user52922
Reply : Fri 24th Apr 2009 20:52

Yes, tomorrow is OK.

user99350
Reply : Fri 24th Apr 2009 22:02

I agree with D. Lyhgoe, they are said to be a near perfect shot and unless you're doing them regularly, forget about it. I tend to do them when I've forgotten about the last time I did one and am thinking just before my backswing 'am I too close to this'

Reply : Sat 25th Apr 2009 07:29

That is a good point Patrick. Too much thinking before your swing does not help! You should be able to trust your swing but this does come with experience and consistency!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top