Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Getting the ball to 'Bite'

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 11th Apr 2009 18:54 | Last Reply

Now that the sun has started to peek out from between the small gaps in the clouds I've noticed that it is getting increasingly difficult to stop the ball on a green.

I'm using a Titleist Pro V1 ball, so I'm using the correct ball.

If I hit my 60 degree lob wedge forty yards, it goes up into the air and lands on the green.

When the greens were wet the ball would stop nearly in it's pitch mark.

Then when they dried out a bit, it might take one hop and stop or even get a bit of backspin.

Now that the greens are harder the ball is just not stopping!  My ball lands on the green takes a good hop and then rolls about 10 to 15 feet.

I'm just taking it that the greens are not being watered and therefore are harder than they should be.

Is anybody else having this problem?

I'm not having the same problem with my other full shots, say with a PW or 8 iron.

Again, I'm assuming that the speed the ball hits the green is creating a bigger pitch mark and thus helping the ball to stop on the green.

Russ

re: Getting the ball to 'Bite'
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 12th Apr 2009 09:30

Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated.

The greens on both our courses do appear to be much firmer than they normally are.  If I can I'll ask the greenkeeper if they are watering the greens overnight or not?  Maybe, they have decided that they don't need watering at the moment and are not doing it!

I do use a chip and run shot normally but every now and then I will have a bunker or a mound in between me and the green.  Both courses at my club have mounds around the green.

It could be that I don't really accelerate through the ball enough.  I have a lazy lob wedge shot and I do only take the club back to the 3/4 mark and end up with a full finish.

I don't normally open the clubface on these shots so I'll get on the practice ground and give that a go.

Russ

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 12th Apr 2009 11:46

Off topic but.....

your HC is moving very nicely towards this years target Russ!!

Reply : Sun 12th Apr 2009 13:04

Both Pauls, I'll try what you have said the next time I'm on the practice ground.

Dennis, thanks for noticing.  I managed to shoot a personal best 77 around the Priors course (par 70, SSS 69 off the whites).  I have done 77 around there before but playing from the yellow tees (SSS 66).

My only problem now is that I have managed to get myself a job!  I have been unemployed for the last five months and over the last couple of weeks I've been phoned by an agency who got me an odd day here and there.  Then last week I went for an interview, then a driving assessment and started work the next day.

So I've gone from my bank balance going down whilst at the same time my handicap has gone down, to my bank balance going up but what about my handicap?

Russ

user77012
Reply : Sun 12th Apr 2009 13:11

Well done on both counts Russ.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 12th Apr 2009 13:27

This is the problem of the game Russ!

One goes hand in hand with the other lol.

I am sure you will reach your target this year (single figures) and balance this with employment. After all, the summer months are upon us!

Reply : Mon 13th Apr 2009 18:42

Well I did a bit of practice today and it does appear that opening the clubface will help me to get the ball to bite on the green.

Then I played 18 holes on the Priors course and tried it out a few times.

The distance the ball is travelling has changed so I have to swing a bit faster to achieve the same distance, but with a bit of practice that will come.

Russ

Reply : Tue 14th Apr 2009 09:57

When I played the Priors course yesterday I was testing the green with my putter and it did feel hard, so I'm assuming that they are not watering the greens at the moment.

The next time I'm at the main course I'll have to ask in the office or if I catch Paul, the head greenkeeper I'll ask him.

I cannot understand why they wouldn't water the greens, even if it's only for an hour overnight, maybe some gardeners out there could tell me?

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top