Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Callaway X22 Tour or Nike Victory Red Split Cavity's?

Posted by: user212279 | Thu 2nd Apr 2009 01:48 | Last Reply

which set of irons do you think will be better?
Callaway X22 Tour or the Nike Victory Red Split Cavity's?

thanks in advance for any replys!

re: Callaway X22 Tour or Nike Victory Red Split Cavity's?
user40826
Reply : Thu 2nd Apr 2009 08:21

Yeah got to agree you really need to judge the feel of the clubs before you buy them.  Try and go somewhere with a range so you can judge the flight of the ball - not what the computer tells you!

Get to the Belfry, if you can, and get fitted - the fitting session is free if you buy the clubs.  Brilliant service.

user77012
Reply : Fri 3rd Apr 2009 00:27

Peter, I tried both clubs for you today X22 Tour 6i with Px 5.5 and the VR 6i split with s300  I found the Nike out performed hands down ,far more forgiving than the callaway. I was also 10 yrds longer with the VR I also compaired them on toe hits and thin's , both longer than the x22. The VR was better looking at address with a nice thin topline and minimal offset as opposed to the chunky x22. Nikey will also combo your clubs and as you are after maximum forgiveness I would look at maybe VR split red PW-7i and VR full cavity 6-3i I was quoted £62/club and £74/ club x22 Tour,and as the VR's are fordged they will feel better than the x22 so to me it's a no brainer.Nikes.

x22     Distance     170yrds     Toe hit    150yrds  Thin 150yrds

Vr     Distance       180yrds     Toe hit 160yrds Thin 170 yrds

Hope this helps.

Last edit : Sat 4th Apr 2009 08:24
user26342
Reply : Fri 3rd Apr 2009 11:25

Peter,

I've just changed to a set of Nike Pro combos (forged) on Dave L's advice & the feel is superb abliet I've only taken the 7iron out on the course but used all the others on the range. I have just transferred my Nike's into my bag ready for the monthly mdeal tomorrow so will let you know how I got on.

My previous set were the Taylormade R7's

user204647
Reply : Sat 4th Apr 2009 21:54

Sorry paul but that is the last thing i would do.

£50 for fitting but that comes off the price,i thing that would still make them about £50 more expensive than any other place for a set of irons.

user204647
Reply : Sat 4th Apr 2009 23:35

You should be on tour then Paul if you are putting them to 2 feet

I am speaking from past experiences from all walks of golf .

If i am wrong on the Belfry front i aologise but i doubt it.

Common sense speaks for but think about

If you think blades help your golf just you go for it but you are wrong.

user204647
Reply : Sun 5th Apr 2009 00:10

Of course you would, iam just speaking as i and most people are thinking, Its hard to tell you how or change your swing without hitting a ball.

In my experience teaching and being productive  is the way forward.

user204647
Reply : Sun 5th Apr 2009 00:35

Calm yourself down there. i said irons not wedges and whome evevr who teaches you in using blades is totaly wrong.

user77012
Reply : Sun 5th Apr 2009 09:27

Peter , your more than welcome.The TP's are superb but you will sacrifice more forgiveness than the previous irons you mentioned.

I didn't think you were not genuine so I didn't mind taking the time to test them but I was genuinely impressed by the Vr's. I'm also a snob a forged snob, I like my clubs to be forged in Japan but I have a set of forged(china forged) Nikes, actually two a pro combo set from 2003 and TW blades 2004, the pro combos are one of the softest feeling forged clubs I own the 3 iron feels like an 8 iron  and I found the same feeling with the VR 3 iron. 

As Nick T said, and I would add they are classic looking nothing fussy but what ever floats your boat,good luck.

"They are forged so feel better than the Callways, in my opinion they look nicer too. I think they are the same price anyway, depending on where you go. But get fitted and you wont go wrong."

Last edit : Sun 5th Apr 2009 11:57
user26342
Reply : Sun 5th Apr 2009 20:49

Peter,

played with my Nike Pro forged combo's for the first time in the monthly medal on Saturday & shot a net 68 (my course is a Par 70). The feeling I got when I struck the 5 iron was sweet, it felt like hitting an 8 iron.

John.

user77012
Reply : Mon 6th Apr 2009 00:06

Rock on John , Keep it going .

user26342
Reply : Mon 6th Apr 2009 10:20

Dave,

it's all down to you

user77012
Reply : Mon 6th Apr 2009 10:57

Me with a TM bag get real , I dooooooooooo many things with a sheep but I ain't one!!

user77012
Reply : Mon 6th Apr 2009 12:15

I Know a dealer in Japan I will ask him but they are kind of rare.

user204647
Reply : Mon 6th Apr 2009 23:56

Peter

I find it hard to respond to you.

You have not read other posts so your comments are rediculous.

I will always take other peoples opinions on board.

user93554
Reply : Wed 15th Apr 2009 22:42

Peter,

Not sure if this thread is still going or if you have already bought your clubs, but if not you should consider the titlest AP2's.  I was convinced I would be replacing my stolen R7tp's with the new TM's but my pro suggested I try the AP2's. 

After testing them at the range it was a no brainer, AP2's all the way (for me anyway).  They are forgiving, easy to hit, forged so have great feel and hit it a mile.  Got them fitted as well and could not be happier.

user99350
Reply : Thu 16th Apr 2009 08:39

Going on looks I think the Nike forged blades take some beating but I've yet to hit a ball.

user26342
Reply : Thu 16th Apr 2009 10:37

Patrick,

I've hit the AP2's on the range & I have recently switched to the Forged Nike Pro Combo's, out of the 2 sets I prefer the Nike's. Price was also a factor, the AP2's were about £650 while the Pro Combos I got for £200.

John.

user26342

Patrick,

I've hit the AP2's on the range & I have recently switched to the Forged Nike Pro Combo's, out of the 2 sets I prefer the Nike's. Price was also a factor, the AP2's were about £650 while the Pro Combos I got for £200.

John.

user26342

Patrick,

John.

user79118
Reply : Thu 16th Apr 2009 18:00

Similar decision to be made by myself tomorrow. Toss up between Nike VR split cavities and Ping i10's for me. Had a fitting on Tuesday and going back tomorrow to test both sets again on the practice ground. Think I've already made my mind up i.e. Nikes, absolutely gorgeous looking club and I personally found them so easy to hit but so were the Pings. All depends on how they perform tomorrow  

user79118
Reply : Thu 16th Apr 2009 19:50

Yeah, I know there forged and you can feel the difference which I would never have believed unless I felt it myself. These babies will be getting head covers!!!!!

user79118
Reply : Fri 17th Apr 2009 06:19

Paul, the sweetspot on the blades is smaller and my ball striking showed on the tapes that I was probably not consistent enough. The larger sweetspot on the split cavities will give me the extra bit of forgiveness that I still require. My aim ultimately is to get back to playing with blades which is what I learnt with some 32 years ago.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top