Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

1st comp

Posted by: user128129 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 30th Mar 2009 20:14 | Last Reply

I've managed to blag my way into an inter-department 'friendly' competition this Friday afternoon. Teams of 3. I think I have the highest handicap and am being targetted by the other teams a bit. The banter at work I can handle, but this is the first competitive round of golf I have ever played and to be honest the nerves are starting jingle a little. I'm not worried about getting the lowest score, but just dont want to look a total wally.

Any advice anyone can give would be greatly recieved! Should I be planning my game in advance? Practicing certain shots? Or just chilling?

Anyone played Hartswood course in Brentwood? Any course management tips please?

Thanks in advance.

re: 1st comp
user52922
Reply : Mon 30th Mar 2009 20:35

Paul, I have played Hartswood a few times and I rather like the course. It has some lovely holes and plenty of trouble.

The game plan for you is to forget greens in regulation totally. three shots to the par fours and two putts will be hard to beat of your handicap. Likewise the par 3's. Going for them usually leaves more difficult shots, like bunkers and mounds. Lay up safely and then chip on. Apply the same thinking to the par 5's, four shots to get to the green. Dont be tempted when you have 200 yds to go in getting your woods out as they will probably put you into trouble, Wjhen I have two hundred yds to go I play two wedges, as I know I hit them correctly every time.

Good luck and enjoy it, that is the main thing. A thinking 27 handicapper is a dangerous opponent.

Last edit : Mon 30th Mar 2009 20:54
user79118
Reply : Mon 30th Mar 2009 20:45

Paul, I agree with what John says. I play off 15 but if I'm having a bad day with the woods and drifting into the rough or the trees then I will just take a 6 or 7 iron to keep it straight and out of trouble. I've said before on this forum that I have been around my par 72 course in 86 shots using just a 7 iron, a wedge and a putter. I think everyone should try this one day just to see how much more enjoyable a game of golf is if you are on the fairway all the time and not trudging through the rough or playing Army golf for 18 holes.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 30th Mar 2009 21:19

I say play each hole to your handicap, if you get two shots on a hole then be happy to take them, and if you score less than this congratulations.

I've only played Hartswood once, and I did like it.

There is a par 3 hole where there are two large trees each side of the hole, halfway between the tee and the green, so hitting anything but a straight shot is out of the question.

All I would say is don't put too much expectations on yourself, play your game and enjoy it.

Russ

user24437
Reply : Mon 30th Mar 2009 23:59

1. Don't try and hit your first drive too hard, try and do a painfully slow swing.  Better to go 150 onto the fairway than 200 off it.

2. Try a couple of swings off the tee first, step up, 1 practice swing and then hit it.  Don't prevaricate.

3. Try and visualise the shot and your swing before you step up.

4. Follow Johns advice on playing bogey golf 

user69191
Reply : Tue 31st Mar 2009 13:24

Treat every hole like  par 5 mate, you'll make 6's and even 7's, but you'll have a smattering of 4's in there as well if you play wthin yourself.

Paul

user99350
Reply : Tue 31st Mar 2009 18:50

Paul, all good advice above. Let the banter go in one ear and out of the other. It's very important to feel comfortable when you're hitting the ball so tee off with your favourite club, could be a seven iron, whatever. I'd stay away from the extremes like 3 & 4 iron from the fairway and anything over a 9 iron, except if you're in a bunker. If you can get in a bit of chipping from 30yards in and putting practice before you play I don't think I'd relish the thought of playing you with your handicap. Most of all enjoy it. Good luck.

user79118
Reply : Fri 3rd Apr 2009 23:39

Well done Paul. Dont worry about him looking at your handicap as if you'd played to it you would of had 36 points. As it is , 29 points is a good knock in my book as you didn't know the course. Good to see you took some of our advice i.e. leaving the woods at home and keeping it on the fairway. I bet that felt good while they where looking in the rough for their balls.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top