Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

3 months since 1st ever golf lesson and............

Posted by: user50354 | Tue 17th Mar 2009 08:43 | Last Reply

Yep, it is now 3 months since my 1st ever golf lesson and I can still nolonger hit an iron shot...

I hit it fat, I hit it thin, I hook it, I slice it and all on the same flipping hole.....

I will never give up, even if it takes all season, I don't understand the word "failure"..

So how long has a lesson took you to ingrain 3 days, 3 months, 3 years ???

re: 3 months since 1st ever golf lesson and............
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 17th Mar 2009 08:55

3½ years and still counting Robbie

user26342
Reply : Tue 17th Mar 2009 09:29

Robbie.

i can confirm Chris's statement

user99350
Reply : Tue 17th Mar 2009 16:24

Jonny, you've made some v valid points. I've never had a lesson and wouldn't consider it as I know I wont keep up to what a pro/tutor told me. I generally know where the ball is going ie slight push or pull when I've hit the ball and usually that's due to giving it 'that bit extra'. I do read and watch other players though.

I'd come up with a new grip for my putting but that's turned to sh*t...as ever

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Mar 2009 19:43

First of all I think we should dispel the myth that swings can be changed so that one becomes unrecognisable as a player at distance. I could tell you the names of golfers at my club from a long way away, by their swings.

Both Faldo and Woods have supposedly changed thier swings but both are readly recognisable.

A players natural swing will always remain with him and all a golfer ever needs is slight tweaks to make sure the player is swinging on the correct plane. The swing never alters.

I can get anyone hitting the ball down the range with a slight draw within ten minutes using their own swing.

Last edit : Tue 17th Mar 2009 19:44
Reply : Tue 17th Mar 2009 20:34

I have a soft fade (sometimes not so soft!) and it took John two minutes and two swings to get me hitting a draw. 

user52922
Reply : Tue 17th Mar 2009 20:48

That's because you are a quick learner, Chris.

Reply : Tue 17th Mar 2009 22:19

I learn well but unfortunately my retention rate is low and my body is stubborn   I know what I should be doing but lack the co-ordinatin to do it consistently. 

I can draw the ball at will but have no control over the amount.  It's often the foucs of my range time. 

user71987
Reply : Wed 18th Mar 2009 10:13

Mr Pound,

you hit the 100yrd marker 9 out of ten times, and the 150yrd marker 7 out of ten times???

thats pretty good going fella, i'm no where near that. why are you off 23?

user50354
Reply : Wed 18th Mar 2009 12:12

At the range I don't have a problem - put me on the turf and I just cant hit it...

Paul E...He did'nt change much at all. Just the angle of the shaft, my lean from the hips and point the toe of iron slightly upwards and thats basically it..

Still this weekend I am playing saturday with a couple of short irons and then Bondhay with a full monty...........

user71987
Reply : Wed 18th Mar 2009 13:45

Still trying to get over Mr Pounds Stats.

I'm stunned, seriously

user71987
Reply : Wed 18th Mar 2009 13:59

thanks Wayne, Love ya

user50843
Reply : Wed 18th Mar 2009 18:44

When I read Mr Pounds stats out of ten at the range I was equally stunned, Simon, but having re-read it I think he means hitting the yardage not the actual marker, at least I hope thats the case or I need to spend lots more time at the range.

user50843
Reply : Mon 23rd Mar 2009 22:25

All the hard work is starting to pay off now with a well deserved third place finish in the last Winter League event at Bondhay. Well done mate....

user24437
Reply : Tue 24th Mar 2009 00:18

After accompanying you on the round at Bondhay Robbie (I certainly wasn't playing!) I came to the conclusion that you didn't go in enough bunkers!  Seriously, you started to hit the ball much cleaner towards the end so I would conclude that you aren't relaxed enough.  You've got the same problem as I have at the range, I can hit straight, draw and fade quite easily off a mat and get distance that I can't approach on the course with the exception of my fairway woods.  You just need to relax out there, which I can do 9 times out of 10 but didn't on Sunday, and it'll come together.

And congrats on the 3rd place - it was difficult test out there. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top