Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Standing in a bunker.

Posted by: user59060 | Sun 15th Mar 2009 20:42 | Last Reply

Hi,

Playing today my partner was saying that a friend of his was playing in a competition and had a very akward lie, while his ball was sitting in the semi rough he had to stand in a bunker to get a swing at it. He adressed the ball as normally as he could but was told by his opponent, after he'd taken his shot, that as he'd grounded his club it was a penalty and he should forfeit the hole. He had ground his club but in the semi rough grass not in the bunker. What is the correct ruling here?

Campbell

Last edit : Sun 15th Mar 2009 20:42
re: Standing in a bunker.
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 15th Mar 2009 21:10

Your club may not touch a hazard before making a swing at the ball.  Semi-rough is not classed as a hazard so grounding his club is fine.  His opponent either does not know what he is talking about or was cheating. 

user81455
Reply : Sun 15th Mar 2009 21:51

My understanding is the same as Chris's.  Its the position of the ball that determines whether you can ground your club not where your feet are.

user26342
Reply : Mon 16th Mar 2009 12:30

I'm not sure of this, I think if your standing in a hazard the ruling changes. I've had this rule a few times & never quite knew what was right so I never ground the club just in case.

user71987
Reply : Mon 16th Mar 2009 12:44

The Ball was not in the Hazard, therefore grounding the club does not impose any sort of penalty.

Sounds like he has pulled a fast one!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 16th Mar 2009 13:22

Thinking the same way means that you cant stand OOB to play a ball that is IN BOUNDS and you CAN play a ball that is OOB if you are standing IN BOUNDS.  Err NO!!

Also if your ball is in a Bunker but you stand outside it to play, you CAN ground your club.  Err NO!!

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Its the position of the Ball that counts.

user71987
Reply : Mon 16th Mar 2009 13:36

here here David,

Lets expose these cheating scum bags and beat em round the head with a lob wedge!

Mind you, he may not have been cheating, in which case beat him for being a dumb ass

Reply : Mon 16th Mar 2009 13:37

I don't carry a lob wedge, so can I use his?

user71987
Reply : Mon 16th Mar 2009 13:39

by all means, or borrow mine!

user26537
Reply : Mon 16th Mar 2009 14:36

Try a driver for 2 reasons:

1.  Larger striking area

and

2.  If you break it you have a good excuse to go an buy a shiney new one.

Reply : Mon 16th Mar 2009 14:57

I think that may be off the agenda for me.  Dave Ley offered to reshaft mine in front of my missus yesterday and got a bollocking from her!

user26342
Reply : Mon 16th Mar 2009 15:23

Are you sure she didn't mis-interpret what he said?? She might have thought Dave said "I'll give you a good shafting..."

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top