Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Mixed hybrid and iron sets

Posted by: user34817 | Thu 12th Mar 2009 13:05 | Last Reply

Are there any high-handicappers (or anyone else for that matter) out there that use mixed iron and hybrid sets?  I have been talking to Direct Golf about getting a new set and they suggested that as I am a high handicapper I would probably benefit from a set of clubs with the longer irons replaced with hybrids.  He has listed the Adams golf range, John Letters T7+, John Letters T9 and Nike Sumo's as possible sets that I might like.  I am going down to Direct Golf in a couple of weeks to try some different sets out but thought I'd see if anyone had any strong opinions either way.

Cheers.

re: Mixed hybrid and iron sets
user52922
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 13:27

Get a proper set and learn how to use them, don't listen to those in shops attempting to earn their commission . They do not have your well being in mind, I can assure you.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 13:28

It's down to personal choice, but I would suggest not taking a hybrid on anything shorter than a 4 iron.  A 4 iron can be difficult but you should be able to hit a 5 iron.  I'm also not at all surprised that Direct Golf have pushed you towards Adams and John Letters as they are the sole outlet for these.  Try them by all means, but I would go somewhere truly independent like American Golf or Nevada Bobs where they won't try to steer you towards a specific brand

user34817
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 13:33

I've used a 'normal' set ever since I have played golf and have got on with them.  I think maybe going to hybrids would be a step back in a way.  I'll go and have a look but may also visit American Golf, Maidstone and see what they have there.

user91931
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 13:40

Richard - when I started playing I bought a fairly cheap set including bag etc from the internet which included a 3 and a 4 hybrid.

After a while I replaced my irons with something decent (Mizuno MX-19's) which I didn't get fitted for, but did spend quite a while researching them and hitting on the indoor ranges at Nevada bob's along with a few other brands.  The Mizuno's are 3-SW.  The point is I actually still use the 3 hybrid from my starter set instead of the 3 iron as I find I can get more consistency with the hybrid.  Me and the new 3 iron did not get on.

Ultimately though i have to agree with Chris - it is down to personal choice and you won't get that from a forum so off you go and hit some balls to make your own mind up. 

Hope this helps.

user52922
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 14:01

My opinion of you David, was clouded with your very first post about my abilities, so you cannot expect me to be rushing to crawl up your a*se.

You are a very fine player yourself and you will know deep in your heart that you could play to the same standard with any old set of clubs. I know I could.

Because of your age you do not know that all clubs in days gone by were blades, something that forced every new player to the game to learn how to hit them properly. This is why the overall standards were higher, no one had a handiocap higer than 24.

In the last twenty years we have seen marketing hype of such great proportions that had we believed it all we would all be hitting the ball 400 yds, all capable of screwing back on the greens. All because of marketing hype. That is your job, to sell golf clubs.

Until you have actually drilled a two iron into a strong wind with a slight draw and landed it on the green from a distance of 210 yards, you will not understand where I am coming from. The hybrid would be coming back at you fast, as would a three wood.

If you do genuinely attempt to fit the customer with clubs that might help his game then I applaud you for it, but you would be one of only a few who take that much interest.

user71987
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 14:01

Well before it all kicks off.

There are good points and bad points.

First. For the higher handicapper/beginner, they can be good as they can increase confidence and make it easier to get the ball airbourne. (still have to have a reasonable swing) and once mastered, you can move on to a "normal set"

On the flip side, mastering a standard set of clubs can put you in good stead for your future golfing life. (possibly)

If you feel it will help to go for the hybrid mix set go for it. lets look at it this way for a progression

Hybrid mix, cavity back, split cavity/muscle back, blade.

seem sensible?

Last edit : Thu 12th Mar 2009 14:02
user52922
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 14:02

Fence sitting I see, Simon. Not like you.

user71987
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 14:05

I'm getting old John,

I hope that i have been playing enough/got good enough to give a little advise on both sides of the coin.

ultimatly, I want everyone to love their game, if it means hyrids or whatever. great. Lets get on the course.

si

user71987
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 14:14

I'm gonna wrap that secret weapon round your head! ;-)

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 14:37

Simon, that might be a bit ugly.   shhhh

user26537
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 15:34

A progressive/transition etc set does not always have the best of breed throughout the set.  Don't fall into the trap that many people do of tring to make everything match. 

Cobra for example have a set called Transition-S which they say "offers even more forgiveness for maximum game improvement", however, the "rescue/hybrid" in the set is not the Baffler DWS, which is consistantly rated as one of the best on the market. 

The 5-SW option means that you don't have one or two redudant clubs in your garage (as I do) that are as shiney as the day they came out of the factory and you can experiment with all the various rescues on the market to find the one that suits you. 

However; many of the manuafacturers sell the 3 & 4 irons to match the set, so if you find yourself wanting to try a traditional long iron you can always buy them later.

user24437
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 15:40

Anyway, back to the subject.  I wouldn't go for a combi set, go for a straight iron set and treat yourself to a hybrid in much the same way as a wood.  I love my 21 deg hybrid, and don't give a monkeys if anybody thinks otherwise.  It fills in the gap between my 5 iron and 5 wood nicely, and even though I still carry a 4 iron the shots I can play with it make it a very useful addition.  At maximum it'll give me 180yds, but I've used it for tee shots of 150yd par 3's.  It gives a lovely high, lazy shot that I can't manage with an iron at that distance.

user34817
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 16:08

Thanks for the comments guys.  My current set of hippos are 4-iron to SW and also a hybrid and a 3-wood.  I have the driver as well but am currently using a Callaway FT-i that I bought separately.  I also bought a Callaway X-20 3-iron as at one point my long irons were going better than the hybrid / 5-wood.  Having now practiced more with the hybrid and 5-wood they are going better but I can still hit the 3-iron as well.  The hybrid is a nice easy club to hit when I'm in a bit of rough though.  I think the idea of getting fitted for a set, say from 4 or 5 iron and then integrating separate hybrids does sound like an idea but as you say the only way I will find out is by going and trying - so that is what I shall do (as soon as I get time).

Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 19:33

Richard,

If you are hitting a 3 iron well already, DO NOT get a mixed set.  Get a full set of irons and add a hybrid separately.  I have 3-PW and a 19* hybrid.  I alternate the hybrid, 5 wood and 3 iron depending on the course and weather conditions, but the hybrid is usually in the bag for exactly the reason you have stated. 

If you are hitting long irons reasonably well already, don't send yourself backwards.  The person in the shop has made a suggestion based on your handicap rather than your ability and for that reason it is obvious that they are after a sale rather than what is best for you.  I'd take your business elsewhere.    

user34817
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 20:09

Cheers Chris,

I might try Nevada Bobs or American Golf as they have been recommended on more than one occassion.  I think I will stick with the regular clubs.

user204647
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 20:44

LOL what a good laugh i have had reading some of the posts.

Almost everybody has a valid point and expressing that in their own right and i agree with most, get a 4-SW set and buy a seperate 21 hybrid club,both you have to like the look of but also what is benificial to your game(not all sales people are rubbish)

I might be a better golfer that most of the retail staff that serve me but they have more knowlage of what a shaft does for my swing or what torque is best for my game. don't get me wrong you do get idiot's that don't really know much so ask questions that you know and see if their response is what you were looking for,i would even do that with a television.

John, for such an accomplished player to have the view that "learn to use blades" is one that made me laugh, i used blades(and still do) along with persimmon woods however like everybody now changed to titanium in my woods.

Your comment is like like asking me to boil water in a saucepan over a burner to make a cup of tea or go to the steamie to get my washing done. Times change and so does technology, it's not there to hamper you and it is a FACT that the coverage on an iron face in modern irons is like night and day.

user52922
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 20:54

I beg to differ, Martin, as you knew I would, or you would not have brought the subject up. Just ask Mr David Ley whether or not the 20 year old blades that he now plays with, which were mine, are better than what is made currently. I think you will find that the quality of clubs has deteriorated as time has gone by.

Raising your voice by emphasising in capitals is bad form, or don't you know that.

Carry on laughing if it makes you feel good.

I am no longer an accomplished player but that does not bother me as much as listening to tinpot shop salesmen.

user26342
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 20:57

Martin,

I think John was trying to say was rather than trying to buy a 'swing' using easier to hit clubs he would benefit in the long run if he learnt how to hit long irons.

user52922
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 20:58

Thank you John, but that thought will have gone completely over his head.

user204647
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 21:05

John

I was only commenting on your remark,there is certainly no need to be rude.

user204647
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 21:15

John

I have never argued that clubs were made better in past years, i had a set of Wilson fg49 blade irons and Mizuno Tp9 irons so what is your point, what i am saying is infact, No i am not going into it because you will never understand. You do sound like a teenager with no experience in the golf world what so ever.

Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 21:28

John, Martin,

You are both old enough to know better.  Unless you are going to stick to the subject, don't post on the thread.  We don't want or need reoccurence of recent times.   

user204647
Reply : Thu 12th Mar 2009 21:31

Richard

You have made the the best points and well said to, it is all to do with marketing, a standard 5 wood used to be 21 degrees now it is 19 so you will buy a 7 wood which is 22 degrees or a hybrid.

Agreed total con

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top