Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Custom fitting

Posted by: user34817 | Tue 10th Mar 2009 13:08 | Last Reply

Hi guys,

Could anyone suggest a reputable company in Kent that offers swing analysis, custom fitting and a good golf shop?

re: Custom fitting
user34817
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 16:05

Thanks Wayne.  I will have a look through and have a think.  Having bought my current set of clubs off ebay I was thinking it may be time for something actually made specifically for me.

user34817
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 16:14

That is exactly what I thought.  As I am wanting to play a lot more this year I thought it best to get the right equipment for the job.  No point hacking away for six months when I can hopefully improve my performance now.  I know I'm not suddenly going to go to a sub-80 golfer with new clubs but every little helps!  And let's face it, a one off investment in to a decent set of clubs and I should be set for a good few years.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 17:47

I think the clubs are more psychological than people think.

A friend of me on here (you know who you are John!!) can pick up any club and hit that ball straight!!

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 17:54

Whilst any good golfer will be able to use any club, getting them fitted correctly will improve their accuracy, distance, control and consistency.  If anyone questions the difference getting fitted will do, they obviously haven't had it done.  There is no way that any decent golfer who has been fitted would ever go back to 'off-the-shelf' clubs. 

I know of a high handicap golfer on here who got fitted and within four months had taken six shots off his handicap and broken 90 for the first time.  I can guarantee that there is no way he would've done it with the 'off-the-shelf' set that he had. 

user198914
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 18:06

richard

there is a direct golf in kent, i believe that they custom fit.

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/static/professional_advice/why_custom.asp

might be of some help

paul

user34817
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 18:31

Cheers Paul,

I have actually been to this store so know where it is.  I have checked the website and it seems to be quite a good place to go.

Has anyone else been fitted by Direct Golf? Would you recommend them?

user34817
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 19:07

Having checked the website it appears that the Kent store does have the Vector Launch Monitor.  I might give them a call and see what they say.

user34817
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 20:11

Paul,

I have just had a reply from Direct Golf and they have informed me that they charge £20 for a 30 min session on the Vector Launch System which would show what you need specification wise for you and your game.  They also stated that it would cost £3 per alterd iron.  They also do a free loft and lie check on yur clubs.

Hope this gives you some idea.

user198914
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 20:19

they also do a free cleaning service that is meant to bring up your old clubs like new, i am going to get them to clean my old x-12s, will let you know how they come up.

paul

user26342
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 20:45

Normally DG refund your custom fit if you purchase clubs from them as a result of it.

I had my R7's custom fitted from the Belfry 18months ago. With a combination of this & lessons & practice my handicap came down from 22 to 14.

user89735
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 20:58

If you're going for a custom fit there is a big difference between a simulator and a proper launch monitor. You sould really go to a place that has a launch monitor as this gives a true reflection of launch angle, spin rate, hang time etc.

The retail chains like direct golf tend to use simulators but depending how seriously you want to take it, to have in depth analysis, you should consider going to the manufacturer fitting centre.

The callaway one in Chessington is very impressive. Any deposit you pay for the fitting comes off the cost of the clubs too.

user34817
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 21:13

Thanks for the advice Simon.  Funny you mentioned the Callaway centre as I was actually looking to buy Callaways - probably the X-20's - but not really sure what to do at the moment.  Give it some more thought I think.

Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 21:49

Be great if you could get to somewhere truly independent Richard.  I had my fitting by Golfsmith in the US and they helped me to pick the right club, not the biggest price tag (and hence commision for the salesman).  I know that The Belfry do it but you're quite a distance from there; is there anywhere similar near you?

I suggest trying a few different types down an open range to see what you like the feel of best and see if you can narrow it down to 3 or 4 sets that are your favourites.  That way when you go for your fitting it's much less painful for you to find the combination that works best. 

user34817
Reply : Wed 11th Mar 2009 07:58

Interesting to see the difference of opinion from player to player.  I guess the further away from scratch you are the more there is available to help your game.  As I have got a long way to go I think I would definately benefit from getting fitted irons.  I would also like to find out what the best driver / fairway wood / rescue club / putter would be to suit my game (might as well do the lot).  I have played golf for a good few years, although sometimes only four or five times in a year, and this is why I have never really lowered my scores.  Having played four or five times already this year I can already notice the scores getting lower and some shots that I wasn't very good at getting better.  Any extra help that I can get can only be a good thing.

user26342
Reply : Wed 11th Mar 2009 08:51

Nick,

Just speaking to the whoever you are dealing with should help. Its easy enough to find the best few clubs for someone after a little chat and a bit of banter, then take it from there.

As I mentioned in my previous post I went to the Belfry for my original custom fit & it helped me greatly. However I have been looking at getting some new irons as my handicap has come down from 22 to around 11 (on good day) to 14 (on average day). As you said above I have chatted about this to a fellow golfshaker (& clubmaker) & eventually I bought a brand new set of Nike Pro Combo forged irons off Ebay for £200. I'm getting the grips replaced with Lampkins & if I need them adjusting (my original R7's were 1' upright) then I will get that done as well.

So I've had the benefit of both sides.

John.

Last edit : Wed 11th Mar 2009 09:48
Reply : Wed 11th Mar 2009 09:41

I agree with David as regards a bunch of numbers that mean nothing to the layman, but I do feel there is a benefit to them.  In my opinion, a vector launch monitor coupled with hitting a ball down and open range so that you can see the ball flight as well as the numbers is the best option. 

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 15th Mar 2009 14:29

Any DEMO DAYS coming up in your area?

I've just been to a NIKE DEMO DAY at The Manor GC and had a good long discusion with there Fitter. I now know what is best for me, and would you belive it, I've almost already got them.

user129665
Reply : Sun 15th Mar 2009 17:08

personaly ive just had some Orka's custom fit by a guy in northampton the heads are like the old Mizuno's and the feel is great had them nearly 2 weeks and they feel great

moved from a stiff shaft to regular but stiff tipped all in all i had a great service for 5-pw and 2 wedges plus driver re-frequencied for £570 not cheap but the guy doesnt rush around and seems to have good idea's 

rather than yep your a strong decent hitter you need x stiff when you dont 

user218570
Reply : Mon 20th Apr 2009 21:51

hi paul - new on hear but you sound v much like me. played golf for years but sometimes only a few times per year, this year i have tried to play more so decided to get some new clubs - my old ones were second hand and only cost £40 so they had done me ok for what i wanted.

when i went to a local pro he said my old clubs were 1/2 inch shorter than standard and i need 1 inch longer than standard - i'm 6'2" - my swing was ok but had compensated for short clubs - hence not really improving - i am now a few rounds into fully custom fitted orkas and have been much more consistent and scoring under my handicap - have yet to enter 3 full score cards yet.

my fully fitted orkas cost £250 (3-SW) which i think is a damn good deal.

i say go get your clubs fitted to you - dont worry too much about names - its the correct fit you need. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top