Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Gap Wedge

Posted by: user50657 | Mon 9th Mar 2009 23:42 | Last Reply

I read a lot of things referring to gap wedges, and was just wondering what exactly a gap wedge was. I'm guessing it lies somewhere between a pitching wedge and a lob wedge, but I'm not sure what it would be used for.

re: Gap Wedge
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 09:00

I have a gap wedge in my bag.  It's 52*, so sits between my PW and SW.  The idea is that instead of jumping from 48* to 56* you have something in the middle for those shots of 80 to 100 yards that are too long for your SW but not a full PW.  Mine gets a lot of use around the greens as I am reasonably confident with the distances I get from it.  I also have a 58* SW instead of having a 56* SW and 60* LW. 

user26537
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 17:27

I carry a Nike SV Tour 52* and 10* of bounce GW simply because I needed a club with greater loft than my PW (48) but lower bounce than my SW (my SW is a Nike Pro Combo 56 with 16* or bounce).   

The high bounce of the SW helps in the sand but tends to lead to hitting the ball thin from the fairway.  I have a LW or two (64* and 60*) but have always struggled with them.

Like most things in golf it is horses for courses (sorry must be that Cheltenham banner on the right of this post whilst I am typing).

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 10th Mar 2009 17:49

I may get one but am working on using the clubs I have to do the job. Its all about the feel and then reducing your shot strenth on getting the results!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top