Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf Lessons

Posted by: user131525 | Thu 26th Feb 2009 19:29 | Last Reply

Well, I've been playing for about 2 years since I returned to the game and, if I do say so myself, am playing consistently.  I have very few "blobs" and am consistently 1/2 over par on most holes.  I reckon I'm about as good as I can get without some outside help.  i've never had a lesson in my life and reckon it's about time.

What would others advise? Lessons? Playing lessons? I've been offered 6 x 30 minute lessons and a 9-hole playing lesson for £100 from my local pro.  Is this good value?

Any comments gratefully received.

Last edit : Thu 26th Feb 2009 19:44
re: Golf Lessons
user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 26th Feb 2009 19:50

That is about the best you will get price wise.

Many here will say lessons are a good thing but I know of a couple that will say that lessons are only as good as the teacher!

I believe the latter........

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 26th Feb 2009 20:44

If you want to improve you have to have lessons!

My game has come on leaps and bounds due to now knowing how I'm going to play a certain shot.

The £100 seems like a good deal to me.

Russ

user99350
Reply : Thu 26th Feb 2009 22:07

Equally important is to take heed of the lessons. I know people who've had lessons for one thing or another and a couple of months later slip back into their 'natural' swing. I think it's a good idea to get a friend who has a reasonable knowledge of the basics and practice together, swapping info. Something as obvious as not being square at set up can be overlooked.

user91931
Reply : Thu 26th Feb 2009 22:39

I'd recommend not booking all the lessons in one go, and instead take one lesson on its own to first of all see if you "like" the pro.  I went to a lesson with a pro once and found him a complete t*** who wasn't really paying attention to me.  Just because he is a pro doesn't automatically make him a good teacher.

Other than that the price is good. 

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 27th Feb 2009 08:19

Choice of pro is critical.  Some want to force you into a text book style, others will just improve your natural swing.  My personal view is once ytou have been playing a couple of years and have a swing grooved, you need to go to the latter.  Text book is more likely to get you to scratch, but it will take a long time and a lot of investment in lessons and practice to get there. 

Having had lessons off two different pros with the two different styles, I much preferred the one who was showing me how to get the best out of my natural swing. Ultimately, it's your choice and it depends on how far you want to go.   

user131525
Reply : Fri 27th Feb 2009 19:41

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll ask around and see if I can find anyone who comes recommended.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 1st Mar 2009 09:47

I would disagree strongly Allan.

There is no point in teaching something that is fundamentally incorrect. This may show slight improvement over a short period of time but the person will soon fall back into their usual style.

The only way is to teach / learn correct set up, swing, follow through, club choice etc as this will be sustainable change.

Just my opinion and thoughts of others on here that are currently absent (you know who you are )

user50354
Reply : Sun 1st Mar 2009 15:46

A good pro will look at each individuals swing and work on improving that swing taking into account age, flexibility etc etc. In order to improve the pro will suggest drills....

It is pointless trying to teach everyone tigers or ernies swing - it just will not work..

Or at least that is what my pro said when I asked the same question..

user99350
Reply : Sun 1st Mar 2009 16:49

I agree with Chris Perry but I don't negate Deniis Visser's point ie if you're not properly set up for the shot you want to play then chances are the result will not be satisfactory on a consistent basis. I think it's v important that if you know why you've hit a bad shot then that's not a major problem, you don't need to go running to a pro to get it sorted. If you don't know why then seek advice.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top