Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Driver smothering the ball

Posted by: user16742 | Wed 25th Feb 2009 19:04 | Last Reply

After going through a bad patch the end of last year i have got my irons working again. nice flight and straight.  I have slowed my swing down and made it smoth which has worked. I used to slice. Now im having trouble with my driver which everyso ofter i really connect and it flys, but i have now have a tendancy to smother the ball either left and no more than head height or  a high scoop to the left ( sometimes with more height than my lob wedge).

I have had lessons before and the pro liked my swing as its simple but he has now left and we have a new one. 

Would it be worth seeing the new guy? what im worried about is him messing with my grip i cant remember if im strong or weak, but when i have tryed in the past to make it text book it just messes with all of my game. I am comfortable with the grip i have and dont want to change it.

Also my irons ar riffle sharfys but my driver is just regular would this cause the problem?

re: Driver smothering the ball
user99350
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 19:21

Hi Matt, looks like your coming down at too steep an angle if your skying it. Try to get your drive swing to sweep the ball off the tee. A good drill for me is to practice  swinging the club at chest height. Also try teeing the ball much higher (this is on the practice pitch, not on the first tee) and concentrate on hitting the ball with a sweeping action.

user99350
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 23:34

Matt, use the highest tee you can get. It's just an exercise. Hit 10 balls with the ball as high as you can get it, then 5 at your normal teeing height. Get used to sweeping the ball off the tee.. It sounds like you're happy with your grip, strong or weak's ok as long as you don't go to extremes like the v in your right hand pointing way past your right ear.

user50354
Reply : Fri 27th Feb 2009 08:47

Sounds as if you could be getting your sternum in front of the ball at impact..This is a sure shot way of smoothering like you explained...

Try keeping weight on back foot on completion of back swing and then let your hands and wrists swing the cuub keeping the weight on your back foot until the ball has left the tee.

Thats you getting the longest drive at Cleveland Bud.......

Last edit : Fri 27th Feb 2009 08:48

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top