Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Forum tweaks, good or bad ?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 25th Feb 2009 14:49 | Last Reply

Given the recent replies to the thead on how you use the forum I realised that the category index is pretty irrelevant and 99% just view the 25 most active posts from the active posts links.  

I am working on some site updates but I have done some quick tweaks which may prove useful in using the forum categories. Let me know.

• The Active Posts links now shows the 5 active posts from each of the main forum categories
  • I have however increased the right hand menu to show the 10 active overall (this may be come the new quick way) 
  • I have also tweaked the forum view design to reinstate the right hand menu which then shows the recent 10 posts. A lot of people use this to quickly switch through
  • The member info's been updated to remove handicap if not set on the site rather than default to 28
  • I've removed the member avatar whilst I work out where it will fit in
Regards, Darren.

Last edit : Thu 26th Feb 2009 22:51
re: Forum tweaks, good or bad ?
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 14:51

Forgot to also say there is a view more link at the bottom of each of the categories of the active posts list.  This allows you to view the 25 active posts but at a category level rather than overall for the site.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 15:01

Looks good on first impression, but I thought I'd broken something at first!  Think I need to have a play to see but I like the forum index. 

Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 15:20

I know you've added it on the right, but I think you still need a "most recently updated" roll-up topic at the top (used to be "active posts" and before that "hot topics".  If someone comes on after a few days it's useful to see a list of these as it cold be more than 10.  I know I used that on a Monday morning, looked down for the latest update that I had read and then worked my way up on any that interested me. 

Also think it's more beneficial to have the format like the comp message board with the most recent post and input box at the top

Like the general layout though now I'm getting used to it, and you could have the aviatior just to the left of the name and reply date

user25268
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 15:42

Ifind it confusing having the name of the contrbuter underlined then the message with the next contributer in the same box. it may cause a lot of argument if replying to the wrong person.

Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 15:55

I like the pretty colours to make it easier to split the posts up

user24437
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 16:01

Bit undecided as yet, Darren.  Like Chris I like to have a list of the recent topics whatever area they've been written sub-heading they've been added to.  If this is in the menu box on the left can it have options to be expanded to include more topics and maybe the last posting date, number of posts, originator etc?

Miss the Avatars though 

user41897
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 18:30

sorry, call me a ludite but I liked it the was it was.  It was simple and clear - now its a bit too fussy

user41897
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 18:33

And I miss the avators.  Easy to see who posted by pic than name...

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 18:44

I do like the menu bar on the right hand side with the latest ten topics, but I don't like the posts as they are now.

Andy said it, withouth the avatars I can't find my posts as easy.

Russ

user204647
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 19:00

Totally agree with Brian, i have had to look three times to see who posted that. lol

Everything else is ok

user26342
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 19:38

Darren,

I like it, it's easier on the eye & saves a lot of 'mouse clicks' to get to where you want.

The only thing I would change from a style point is where you have alternated the replies I would like to see either a border around the non coloured reply or have this in a different colour. This is because if someone types a short message it kinda gets lost in between the larger ones.

John.

user129155
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 19:39

active posts was alot better before mate. dont like this at all.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 20:29

How's that ?

• Active posts reactivated but with sticky posts at top, ensures I get key messages across
  • Category links on the main forum home page link through to the active posts for that particular category, grouped
  • Aviators restored
  • Improved reply spacing and differentiating
  • Other stuff coming ie post order, improved search, xxxxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxxxx 

• Regards, Darren.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
    Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 20:32

dohh!

user24437
    Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 20:50

That's much better

user79118
    Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 21:03

Been on about half hour now an getting used to it. Quite like the new look actually

user24437
    Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 21:10

Just noticed the new active posts page - just what I wanted.  What about number of posts?

user41897
    Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 22:01

That's much better.  Like it now.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top