Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Driver or Putter

Posted by: user205151 | Tue 24th Feb 2009 20:43 | Last Reply

I've been thinking about how much I have spent on my golf clubs, and have realised that i've spent three times as much on my Driver as my Putter, is this normal??

Should I be looking at more expensive putters or is my Odyssey Dual Force okay??

re: Driver or Putter
user24437
Reply : Tue 24th Feb 2009 20:49

No mate, that's about right.  My driver cost £45 and my putter was worth about £15.

Just a question though, one which I've asked lots of people on here.  Why do you think a more expensive putter will be better?  Would you buy an expensive putter if a real cheapy felt really comfortable simply because it's a better 'brand'?

user41897
Reply : Tue 24th Feb 2009 21:34

I've only ever used my slazenger putter that came with my all-in set a few years back and I'm not sure I would notice any differnce between that and nay other putter with my standard of game.   The grip is now falling apart mind and whilst it would be cheaper just to get a new grip, I'm minded to splash out on a decent putter just to make me feel good.  I was in the Golf-in-One shop in Rayliegh, Essex last week and tried the TM Rossa Spider as one of my playing partners had recently got one.  It was rather nice - expensive - but nice.  I have a birthday coming so I might just treat myself.

Leads me to a query regarding shaft length.  I know all will say try different lengths and go with what feels the best - some players will hunch down and others will stand tall - but bearing mind the putter is a very upright club, the must be a 'correct' stance for the putter so the shaft length should in theory directly relate to your hieght.  Looking on the TM website they do the spider in 33/34/35 inch shafts (plus 32 and 37 as custom).  Even with the custom then you are only talking about 5" differece between which means short people would have to stand more upright or hold lower down and tall people would have to bend over more. 

Question then - is there an optimum shaft length for a 6' tall player (like me)?  My current putter shaft measures 34.5" from floor to to of grip and it feels too long - I always feel my fingers are off the bottom of the grip but had thought it was cos I was bending over too much.  Maybe it is just too long a shaft?  If I do get a new putter, I will definately try different shaft lengths before I buy, and a range of putters to see if there is a noticeable difference in feel. There was another interesting thread about grip thickness which I need to think about too.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 24th Feb 2009 22:12

Andy, get the pro in the shop to fit the putter to your putting stance, that way you will get the correct length of shaft for your build, and also make sure they check the lie of the putter as well.

My driver cost me £180 (If I remember correctly!) and my putter cost me £3.49

I was in one of the JJB kind of shops and I picked this putter up and it immediately felt right, so I though why not, it's only £3.49

And for those of you who have played with me I'm sure you'll agree that putting is the best part of my game.

To be honest though, everytime I go into a shop I pick up puttters and see if I like them.

Russ

user99350
Reply : Tue 24th Feb 2009 22:20

I always check putters out (though wouldn't think of buying another) but make a point of never looking at the price or make just in case it might sway my judgement, If it has the right balance you're half way there.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 12:22

Some one once said that Putting was a game within a game and I agree with them.

In a normal round, a low Hcp would hit Driver about 13 or 14 times and hit over double that with a Putter.

Years ago, some of the Tour Guys used to take their Putter and Driver on board aircraft as "Hand Luggage" or tape a length of wood to them in their Bag.

I bought a Cleveland Launcher 400 with 9* of loft a few years ago for £200. I then saw a 460 with 10.5* last year for £49.99 so snapped it up. That been in the Bag since. It gives me a high flight and a 250' + carry.

My Putter has been in the Bag for nearly 25yrs now. Its a PING MY DAY, its been taken out now and again but is put back very quickly as I search for that elusive "Magic Wand" that holes everything under 10'. If I holed 75% of putts under 10' I'd be back off a Plus Hcp. Thats been my problem for years but its me and not the Putter, or is it??

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 12:52

I have Wayne, with two different pros.  The first one was the guy who taught me how to play.  He was big on feeling comfortable and 'feeling' the putt.  Made sense to me and I've always used the style he suggested.  Despite the occaisional wobble, my putting is not costing me no more than a couple of shots per round so is by no means my biggest problem. 

I tried a different pro last year and really didn't feel comfortable with the way he was trying to get me to putt.  He wanted me hunched over, gripped down the shaft (I have a very upright putting stance and putt off my toes).  He also wanted me to have no more than a two inch back swing and big follow through to get me accelerating through the ball.  It didn't suit me at all, felt awful and I told him I wouldn't be adopting it.  To try to prove his point he took me to a green and put 5 balls down in various positions 15-20' from the hole.  He told me if I could get them all down in 10 strokes he would accept leaving me alone.  8 putts later and 5 balls sank he conceded, but parted by saying I wouldn't be cosistent.  I haven't gone back to him. 

user68876
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 13:02

Re. shaft length, I picked up a cheap 2-ball SRT on ebay but it has a 33" shaft - I had been playing with a Ping G2 Anser 35". For the sake of 2" it felt very strange and was going to give up with it but a friend of a friend - who is a putting coach said he recommended shorter shafts as it promotes a more natural 'hanging' of your arms. I've since persevered and I get on really well with it - most of the time... 29 putts last Sunday.  That said - its all about the time and the place and you can be sure if Im putting well I'm not driving well... and vice versa!

user99350
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 15:37

David, I remeber those putters...at that time it was either Pings or Ray Cook that everyone went for. I had my share and decided to stop buying when I realised it was me and not the putter. I too have had the same putter for 30 odd yrs (tho' was dormant for twenty of them) and can't remember what type it is, looks like a branding iron triangular brass head.  Any names that might jog my memory?

Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 15:59

Patrick, I seem to remember them, has it a round hole that a ball can be picked up with?

Maybe Bronty?

user77921
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 17:59

When I first started playing, I had a 6 week course of lessons that went over all the basics. One of the lessons was focused solely on putting which I found very helpful.

I think the reason not many people have putting lessons is because its very individual. With a few exceptions, a bad swing will cause a bad drive whereas ive seen putting strokes that look awful but really work!!

user99350
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 19:27

David, no not a Bronty (were they one of the first chippers?) It's triangular with a face of 3mm depth and a bar from the back of the face which meets the two... I'm not doing a good job of this. Will try and find my camara and take a picture.

Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 19:34

Bronty were here in Pudsey, on Carlise Road. They made the "Chipper" plua a number of Putters, "The Rustler" sold well.

user99350
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 19:56

I've managed to take a picture of it but don't know how to get it on here, oh hang on this might do it. Apologies for the light

user99350
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 20:38

Last edit : Wed 25th Feb 2009 20:40
user24437
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 21:01

Even more ridiculous is that even with the most expensive driver in the world you'd never be expected to hit a range of shots between 20yds and 200yds (well 300yds for some - not me!).  That's what you expect from a putter.  With the most expensive hand crafted putter in the world you ain't gonna sink an 18 incher if you can't sink it with a cheapo.  Putting is an art that you get better with practice, easier for some to master the basics for people with good spacial awareness admittedly,  but it is a very simple part of the game.

user24437
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 21:03

Even more ridiculous is that even with the most expensive driver in the world you'd never be expected to hit a range of shots between 20yds and 200yds (well 300yds for some - not me!).  That's what you expect from a putter.  With the most expensive hand crafted putter in the world you ain't gonna sink an 18 incher if you can't sink it with a cheapo.  Putting is an art that you get better with practice, easier for some to master the basics for people with good spacial awareness admittedly,  but it is a very simple part of the game.

Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 22:48

Patrick,

Sorry but I can't see your picture. Thinking about, there was a company who made copies of top Putters and the name "Align" rings a bell.

user99350
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 23:08

David, pity because I thought I did s good job the second attempt. I think you're right as I do remeber that name. I tried to google it but zilch. I didn't know it was a copy though. Many thanks.

user99350
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 23:18

Tim, you're right. I think what proves this are the days when we play well ie putt well, drive well etc and and the following day we're at the other end of the scale. We're using the same clubs so it must be the swing that's gone to pot. 

Last edit : Wed 25th Feb 2009 23:20
user26342
Reply : Thu 26th Feb 2009 21:01

Wayne,

I would try anything to putt better

Funny thing that Brian, how many players have had a putting lesson from the Pro or qualified teacher???

I haven't!! yet they are available.

I had a lesson with the pro at my club when I first joined. I'd had lessons on putting before but he was the first one that video'd it so when I watched it back I could see what the putter face was doing. After a while he got me thinking of nothing esle but hitting the ball out of the center of the putter. My putting has never been better, as you saw for yourself on Sunday at Conwy, long putt for birdie on 14th & long putt for par at the last and didn't really miss anything outside of 1ft.

John.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 13th Mar 2009 06:54

Sherlly, stop posting useless points in your threads. Although now I feel like I am doing the same!

user26342
Reply : Fri 13th Mar 2009 06:55

yes, i have belly putter for you to wrap round head.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 13th Mar 2009 06:56

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top