Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What's A Good Warm-Up Routine?

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 23rd Feb 2009 19:28 | Last Reply

I would be interested to hear what people think would be a good 'Warm-Up' routine.

When I play in a monthly medal or one of the big comps at my club I normally get there so I have an hour before I have to make my way to the first tee.

At the moment I go on the practice ground and I do the following....

Mid Irons (7 & 8) - I hit 30 to 40 balls then I go and pitch/chip them all together so I can pick them up.

Short Irons (Lob Wedge) - I hit roughly 15 balls with my lob wedge.

Chipping - Then I go to the putting green and chip about 12 balls to three different holes (different lengths).  The I take my putter onto the green and putt these balls into the hole.

After that I will do five or six longer putts.

Driving - Just before I walk to the first tee I'll go into the nets and hit 5 or 6 drives.

That takes me about an hour and give me a chance to get all my good shots out of my system before I get to the first tee!  lol

Do you have a similar routine or would you change anything?

Russ

re: What's A Good Warm-Up Routine?
user79118
Reply : Mon 23rd Feb 2009 19:34

If I get chance to warm up properly I usually go to the range and start with my 9 iron then 7, 5, 3, 3 wood and finally driver so the last club I use is the first one on the course. I don't take too much notice of the ball flight unless it hooks or slices badly, it's more just to get loose.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 23rd Feb 2009 22:31

I've got my practice ball bag and it holds 200 balls.

When I go for a proper practice session I normally take about 2 1/2 hours to hit them all.

Then I go down the practice ground with either my PW or LW and chip all the balls into a tight circle (a great drill for chipping!).

So hitting 30 or 40 balls before I go out is not too much of a problem for me.

Normally the Pro will leave his range balls on the practice ground, so sometimes I'll pick up ten or so of his balls and then hit my driver.

I prefer to see how the ball is flying than hitting a ball into a net.

Russ

user24437
Reply : Mon 23rd Feb 2009 23:03

I usually have a couple of half-hearted swipes in the practice net and a fag.  Bit of putting practice if the green is decent but nothing over about 3 ft.  Couple of practice swings when the ball is teed up and then start walking right to go and get it....

user26537
Reply : Tue 24th Feb 2009 16:30

Arriving late at the course and having to run from the car park to meet you tee time ?

Alternatively a cup of coffee and a bacon roll normally works for me.

user24437
Reply : Tue 24th Feb 2009 16:33

Too idle to turn up late and needing to run across the carpark.  Turn up at least an hour early for advanced warm up routine which consists of toilet, coffee, bacon roll, coffee, fag, more coffee, toilet.  Need to save as much energy as possible to be able to step over Russels exhausted body on the first tee.  

Last edit : Tue 24th Feb 2009 16:35
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 25th Feb 2009 21:10

love the drive comment ' if it feels good i'll hit a couple more, if not i leave it in my car'

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top