Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How to stop 'Coming over the top'

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 23rd Feb 2009 13:55 | Last Reply

My natural shot is a fade/slice.

Does anyone know of any drills to stop me coming over the top?

I try and keep my upper arms connected to my body during the swing but I still get that fade shape on my shots.

I can hit a draw, but I have to alter my feet and ball position quite a lot to do it.

Any help appreciated.

Russ

re: How to stop 'Coming over the top'
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 23rd Feb 2009 19:32

When I had lessons I was taught to take the club back straight, so that my hands were above my right foot when the shaft was parallel to the floor.

I've tried all sorts on the practice ground to try and swing on a more in to out path, but it's not working.

My bad shots at the moment are a pull, the ball going straight left of where I'm aiming.  When I mentioned this my pro told me that when I hit the ball it should go out to the right and then draw back onto my target, fine in principle. 

If I do hit a ball out to the right it normally goes straight and stays there!

I've tried pulling my right foot back and even over exaggerating an inside to out path.

Russ

user80078
Reply : Mon 23rd Feb 2009 21:23

You say you can hit a draw by moving your feet, so why not stick to that. It is exactly what I turned to when I was slicing and 'coming over the top'. The result has been a spectacular improvement in feel and distance. I feel that I can really go at the ball from the inside and am hitting it further than at any time before (Iam now 61). The ball goes straighter and with a tendency to draw rather than a weak slice. Good luck. 

Reply : Mon 23rd Feb 2009 22:01

I have tried the 'close the clubface a bit at address' method, it works for a bit and then because my clubface is closed at impact I hit a pull/hook!

I could play for a draw by moving my feet/ball position but I'd like to be able to aim directly at the target and get a draw.  Maybe I'm being to picky and should be happy that I can get a draw by aiming right of the target.

Thanks for the tips/advice.

Russ

Reply : Mon 23rd Feb 2009 23:36

Paul, the only other thing I was told was to move my balls back slightly in my stance for a draw, and slightly forward for playing a fade.

I'll have to give it a go on the practice ground and see if I'm getting the same amount of draw for each shot, then I'll know where to aim!

Russ

Reply : Tue 24th Feb 2009 16:54

I played today and decided to close my stance and move my ball back slightly in my stance.

The clubface was left pointing down the target line.

Well I never hit a draw with my driver, but today I managed 5!!!  And the good news was that they even landed and stayed on the fairway.

I must admit that on the other holes where I tried to do it landed in the semi-rough on the right hand side of the fairway (pushed them!), but what a nice sight it was to see those golf balls heading right and then spinning back onto the fairway.  And the bonus was the bit of extra distance I was getting.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top