Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

3 woods from the fairway

Posted by: user204383 | Sun 15th Feb 2009 17:09 | Last Reply

I would like to use my 3 wood from the fairway, does anyone have any tips on how do successfully achieve this? also what is the general opinion of rescue clubs?

re: 3 woods from the fairway
user24437
Reply : Sun 15th Feb 2009 17:36

I regularly use my 3 & 5 woods from the fairway, I think that the trick is not to try and hit it too hard, certainly not to try and crunch the ball like an iron but more sweep it away.  I generally have the ball bang in the middle of my stance.

user52922
Reply : Sun 15th Feb 2009 20:16

I am a centre of the stance man when it comes to fairway woods, but of course there are many types of shot that can be played with a fairway wood and would require a different set up, but for just plonking it down the fairway, Tim has got it right.

user24437
Reply : Sun 15th Feb 2009 20:23

I find I generally hit my 3 best in the centre of my stance - if I put a long way forward it tends to go very low and slice and it's about the only club I guarantee to do that - very useful for getting round trees in fairways and still get 190 yds.  It maybe that it's a very low face compared to my 5 wood, because I can't do it with that!

user118394
Reply : Sun 15th Feb 2009 21:38

think the general rule is to have 3 wood forward in your stance and sweep it off the turf as tim says,

as for rescue clubs i think all higher handicaps should have a couple in there bags.i do believe they are easier to hit solid than 3/4 irons but these are like irons in that you can crunch them and not sweep like woods.

user24437
Reply : Mon 16th Feb 2009 00:00

My 21 deg rescue gets used in the same way, although it's a lot easier if it's somewhere fluffy - it really picks the ball up in the air and still goes a fair distance.  I recently started using it off the tee on some par 3's, just ask David Marshall how close I got to an ace on the 7th recently!

user81455
Reply : Mon 16th Feb 2009 10:11

Tim why were you getting close to David Mardhall on the 7th.  The 14th would have been more appropriate as it was Valentine's Day. 

user24437
Reply : Mon 16th Feb 2009 10:36

It was the 7th at Vale Da Pinta, about 160yds off the tee.  David had finished the hole and was off the green about to head up the path when he heard it land about 4ft to the left of the pin, it screwed back and rolled above the hole missing it by 2 inches.  Simple 12 inch putt for a birdy!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top