bad hole

Posted by: user119312 | Sun 8th Feb 2009 10:04 | Last Reply

which your worst hole on course

mines the 16th its a par3 on to prettry much island green

re: bad hole
user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 8th Feb 2009 11:28

If you mean my 'home' course it would be:

10th - Waterloo - Deceptively narrow and I usually go OOB (GRRR)

7th - Wellington - trees lined on the right, perfect for my slice

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 8th Feb 2009 17:02

My bad holes on my home course are.....

Abbotts Course - Hole 3, SI 1, Par 5 with OOB's all the way down the left, OOB's on the right, but you have to be well right to reach it.  A large bunker in the middle of the fairway just where my second shot would be.  A pond short and right of the green and a bunker with a large mound to the front left of the green!

The hole doglegs left about 170 - 180 yards from the tee.

Normally I hit my first drive OOB's on the left as I aim about ten yards left of the corner, but I pull my driver and it just doesn't have the power to reach over the corner and onto the fairway.  I beat the trees but my ball just doesn't carry the smaller trees, bushes past them!

Priors Course - Hole 7, SI 1, Par 4 with a ditch running across the fairway about 170 yards, two ponds, one each side of the fairway just where my drive will end!  Then it's a 180 - 190 yard uphill shot to reach the green.  There is a small bunker guarding the front left of the green.

Russ

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 8th Feb 2009 19:43

Those holes sound very good Russ.

user52922
Reply : Sun 8th Feb 2009 19:53

Hole 7, as Russ says, is a difficut hole, The drive has to be straight or very long to get over the pond on the right hand side of the fairway. That was my favourite position when I used to play there as I then had the length to carry that right hand pond. Anything left leaves you dead. The second shot is uphill and always requires one more club than you think.

There are some good holes on the Priors course.

Last edit : Sun 8th Feb 2009 20:17
Reply : Sun 8th Feb 2009 20:13

Dennis, it is a good hole, if you can call it a good hole!

You stand on the tee up on a hill looking down the slope to the ditch and then the fairway runs up the hill to the green.

The ditch runs from the pond on the left into the pond on the right, it crosses the fairway about 170 yards from the tee.

The left hand pond is far enough away to the side of the fairway to not bother me much.  But the pond on the right is just where my drive ends.  Today I made sure I closed the driver face a tiny bit and concentrated on making a smooth swing.  I ended up hitting the ball to the left and then it faded back towards the fairway, just didn't make it so my second shot was 180 yards, uphill to the green.

As John says, there are some lovely holes on this course, and if anybody wants to play there just give me a call.

Russ

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 9th Feb 2009 09:49

Hole 13 on the PGA - Always find the sand (although there is a lot of it) and yet to take less than a 7

Hole 17 at Pype Hayes - Long par 4, which is usually one of my fortes, but for some reason I can't score on this hole. 

user99350
Reply : Thu 19th Feb 2009 22:48

I take it that bad holes means difficult. There are no real bad holes on my course.

The one that sticks in my mind is the 17th at Muirfield though I found the whole course unplayable and a traumatic experience, even tho' I was off 6 and shot 100+...no I'm lying 110+ that on reflection warranted professional help but therapy wasn't available then.

Nowadays I reckon the 5th at Moorallerton, Leeds is a contender. It's a par five just less than 500yds but still SI 1.

The pleasant first four are not without challenge but you do need to be wearing brown trousers the first time you get on the 5th tee. Water all down the left, inpenetrable trees all down the right with a narrowing fairway to a lake at about 250yds. Carrying the lake is not really an option unless there is a gale behind..

To get to the green in two you need to hit about 270yds to the 20 yd gap between the edge of the lake and the trees on the right. This leaves you with a 220 yd carry to the green which has a lake the full lengh of the green guarding it (note trees still down the right). Also it's not just a case of banging in a 3 iron as there is a bunker the lengh of the green at the back, which has a view as bad as the one from the tee  I've yet to attempt getting on in two as this hole is a card wrecker. I try to keep as far away from the water and the trees as possible by taking a 1 iron, 6 iron and 9 iron and always, but always feel glad to see the back of that hole, hopefully with a five.

It's a cracker.

Last edit : Thu 19th Feb 2009 23:09
user99350
Reply : Sat 21st Feb 2009 15:44

I think it's worth noting that when you approach a hole that consistentlly causes you problems you expect to post a poor score which is the wrong attitude. I gave up fighting the course and changed the way I play the hole, even if it means giving up 50yds distance or whatever compromise you take. 

user41897
Reply : Sat 21st Feb 2009 16:39

I'm playing the Priors course tomorrow Russ - I'll be wary on the 7th!  I've played there once before but not for a while.

Reply : Sat 21st Feb 2009 16:43

Andy, I would have put my name down for that game but I'm playing in a pairs comp on the other course tomorrow.

You play the 6th hole, a short par 3 and then stand on the 7th tee looking downhill.

There is a ditch across the hole, but a decent drive takes you well past this.

On your right there is a pond, and on the left is a pond!

A good drive will put you in the middle of the narrow fairway, leaving you with a 180 - 190 yard uphill shot.

Take it easy from the tee and keep your ball in play, if you get two shots on this hole be happy to walk away with a 6.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top