Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

My recent swings - Fix me!!

Posted by: user40826 | Thu 5th Feb 2009 13:23 | Last Reply

I uploaded my driver and wedge swings the other day and somebody said I had a loop at the top of my wedge swing.  What does this mean and are there any drills to fix it?

If anybody spots anything else I would welcome the advice!

My wedge:

My Driver:

Thanks in advance

Chris

re: My recent swings - Fix me!!
user52922
Reply : Thu 5th Feb 2009 13:42

Chris, both swings are identical so I will comment only on the wedge.

You have a very full backswing(must be youth) and I like to see the open clubface.

At the top you are in a very good position apart from your right elbow, which I wiould lke to see pointing down as opposed to out.

From the top you definitely move your right shoulder forward and this forces you outside the line. Because it is a wedge you get away with it. The driver will cause you more problems I expect.

I don't have the facility to slow the swing down so it is very difficult to analyse.

user24437
Reply : Thu 5th Feb 2009 13:53

It looks like you're doing exactly what I am trying to stop doing Chris.  Start of the downswing your shoulders are dropping down to the right, this is putting all the weight on your back foot and you're trying to compensate by reaching forward to hit the ball (amazing thing the human brain, it can compensate for movements like this), this will make you almost lose balance (backwards) after you've hit the ball.  Bet you've got a wicked slice (sorry - power fade) but your wedge goes sky high.... 

user52922
Reply : Thu 5th Feb 2009 14:01

Tim, Paul, the majority of handicap golfers after reaching the top of the swing, immediately think power (Right hand power) and subconsciously open the top half of the body to initiate the downswing, when what they should be doing, is moving the lower half of the body and uncoiling the built up tension in the backswing to provide the power.

This movement immediately takes their swing off plane and they can only hit the ball from the outside to in.

Have a mirror behind you, yes even the bedroom one and practice taking the backswing and then coming down on the same path. Do this slowly so that you visualise what is happening, and you will notice that your right shoulder does not come forward.

user77012
Reply : Thu 5th Feb 2009 15:15

Chris you are starting your take away with your left wrist turning the club and forcing you to much on the inside.From here you pick the club straight up vertical forcing you to rise your R elbow and push your right shoulder forward as stated. You then start your downswing from the top forcing you up out of your spine tilt. Your upper body then out runs your lower body you need be turning your lower body sooner.   Start your take away with your shoulders arms and hands together,keep your hands passive they will cock automatically and keep your left elbow facing the ground. In transition try maintaining your height even better get slightly lower ,get the R elbow in close and pointing down as John says R elbow R pocket, when turning the hips feel that your left hip is being pulled back to square and continue left making sure hands don't out run your belt buckle.   Watch this vid study 9 o'clock and impact position   Good luck.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJyqplX4sRc&feature=related

Last edit : Thu 5th Feb 2009 21:31
user52922
Reply : Thu 5th Feb 2009 16:55

Nuff said, even I followed that explanation, Dave.

user99350
Reply : Thu 5th Feb 2009 23:23

Chris, main things that I noticed was the almost reverse pivot (weight being on your back foot before you release), the lack of balance which is a result of going hell for leather on the downswing causing your back foot to shoot forward and your head to come up around impact.

I think if you remember that power without control wont get you near the hole and concentrate on a good strike and a balanced finish you can start to build on that and incorporate the more technical ponts offered by JP et al

user40826
Reply : Fri 6th Feb 2009 16:50

Sorry Gents been away from t'internet for a few days.  Thanks for all the advice, plenty to go on there.  Will keep you updated with how I get on.  If I ever get to play thanks to this bloody snow.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top