Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

BALLS

Posted by: user119312 | Mon 2nd Feb 2009 17:49 | Last Reply

i used a nike pd distance ball that i found yesterday and i really liked it

if anyone uses this ball can you give some feedback on it and where i can find the chepest price

also can anyone recommend any balls like it

Last edit : Mon 2nd Feb 2009 18:23
re: BALLS
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 2nd Feb 2009 19:16

I play with Titleist, Callaway, Nike and Srixon, normally the better balls they produce.

When I started back playing golf about 18 months ago I was using the Donnay golf balls, and I was happy with them.

I think golf balls are a matter of personal preference, what you like others won't.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Mon 2nd Feb 2009 19:53

2 dozen for £8.99 has got to be the bargain of the century.

user71987
Reply : Mon 2nd Mar 2009 12:24

I use the LoCo and the quadralinks. personally, for me they are great and for the money you dont feel bad about smacking one ito a lake or into some woods!

user26342
Reply : Mon 2nd Mar 2009 14:10

I used a Bridgestone EP6+ for the 1st time on Saturday & shot the best round around my course, an 81. Can't say it felt any different to my normal balls which are either a Titlelist NXT Tour or the Taylormade TP Black but I shall continue to use them

John.

user26537
Reply : Mon 2nd Mar 2009 16:28

The value for money vote must go to the Srixon AD333.  2 boxes for £27 (or £14 each) on onlinegolf.com.  It is a hard wearing ball (still using the same ball after 36 holes) that I can (occasionally) put spin on.  I really like the Taylor Made TP Red, but they cost a fortune and mark up really easily, however, they are easy to spin and stop on greens.

FYI : On the same site as mentioned above, the Nike PDs are £9.78 or 2 boxes for £18.  Obviously p&p makes them a tad more expensive. 

user24437
Reply : Mon 2nd Mar 2009 16:37

AD333's £37.95 for 3 dozen from the Golf proffesional on e-bay, very reliable source, used them quite a few times

user115085
Reply : Tue 3rd Mar 2009 23:42

I find the Wilson Smartcore balls are still good. Used to be a pricier ball - but now can be found for under £8 a dozen. Good distance and reasonable stopping power. Also used the Bridgestone B330s recently (they were on offer for £18 ish at American golf recently), spin more than the Wilson but at more than twice the price I'll wait 'til my game improves before paying out again I think.

user26342
Reply : Wed 4th Mar 2009 10:14

Chris,

That is really cheap for the B330's, normally they retail at £29.99. You should of bought a few boxes & sold them on

John.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 4th Mar 2009 11:40

Were the last year's B330's Chris?  I'm using B330 RX's at the moment but can't find them cheaper than £29.99 a dozen. 

user34817
Reply : Wed 4th Mar 2009 13:30

How would I know what the best golf balls are for me to use? 

user71987
Reply : Wed 4th Mar 2009 14:01

Richard,

Trial and error I'm afraid mate. Like I have said before, I use the Dunlop LoCo or Quadra Link, £8 for 24 and it works for me. I know some higher handicappers that will only use titleist. Its all about what feels right.

Smacking £3.50 per pro V1 into a lake doesn't feel right for me!

user115085
Reply : Wed 4th Mar 2009 14:03

Chris they were the B330 "s" in the "blue box". Didn't realise how good a price they were til later. Still have 5 unused balls, the others are lost or scuffed. They dont seem to last too long.

Richard...it depends on what characteristic you are after, something that spins well (for stopping quickly) or less (for distance & to minimise hooking/slicing a little). How important is the feel for you? ie hard or soft? How important is price?

for me feel is not so important, i like moderate but not crazy spin and price is definitely a factor. Thats why I tend to go with the Smartcore as my stock ball....played it for several years and ticks all the right boxes...I do like to experiement once in a while though.

Reply : Wed 4th Mar 2009 14:20

That was well cheap Chris.  Mine are the red box and I find they last quite well.  I easily got 2 1/2 rounds out of my last one before I hooked it out of bounds onto the road!  My wedges tend to tear balls quite badly but these lasted beter than the Pro V1x's I was using before and event handled pinballing around trees too.....

Richard - You will find you prefer a hard or a soft ball depending on the feel off the driver and around the greens, coupled with the amount of spin as Chris B has said above.  I suggest two courses of action to try a few out

• Try one you find on the course and see if you like it or not
  • When you have a better idea of a couple you want to try, have a root around in the bucket of found balls that the pro at your course will have.  get a couple of the different ones and try them over a few rounds until you have found what you like before buying a dozen. 
  • re: BALLS
    user115085
    Reply : Wed 4th Mar 2009 14:40

just checked and american golf aren't listing them on the website anymore (b330s). I got mine at the american golf store by Meadowhall, Sheffield. I'll probably be popping in again before the Belfry trip so will see if they have any left

Last edit : Wed 4th Mar 2009 14:42
    Reply : Wed 4th Mar 2009 15:34

Thanks Chris.  I'm after the red box, the B330-RX. 

user34817
    Reply : Wed 4th Mar 2009 16:09

Cheers guys,

I've been using Callaway Warbird's for the last few rounds and they seem to go ok.  I guess the more I play the more I will understand what I need.

I wouldn't want to pay more than about £20.00 per dozen so i'm not looking at the Pro V1's for example.  I think something a bit on the softer side so I can get a better feel around the green.

Is it just a case of reading the description of the ball to see whether it would be softer / harder ?

user115085
    Reply : Wed 4th Mar 2009 16:20

Chris - it was only the B330 and B330s they had last time and looking about it seems they would have been the 2008 ones.....Still I might see if I can beat Wayne to them

Richard - yes the descriptions usually give a good indication. If something is labelled as "tour" feel they are generally softer (not always - but often). There was a good ball review in the last Todays Golfer I bought....had about 30 current models on review (not sure if it's the one still in the shops or not).

Reply : Wed 4th Mar 2009 22:12

Personally I couldn't get on with the AD333.  Don't know why but I didn't like them from 100 yards in - couldn't get the feel of them.  I know others who won't play anything else though so it really does show that it's personal choice. 

user115085
    Reply : Thu 5th Mar 2009 11:48

d'oh! you serious Wayne or taking the mick? Was going to call in on my way home from work.

Reply : Thu 5th Mar 2009 11:56

He'll only sell them on.  He uses AD333's

user115085
    Reply : Thu 5th Mar 2009 12:04

that's what I was going to do

user24437
    Reply : Thu 5th Mar 2009 13:35

Just been down a local pro-shop and they're selling 'practice' Pro-V1's for £19.99 a dozen.  According to one of the guys there they are overuns for the tournaments, some have been hit once or twice on the range but most are untouched.  They've just got 'practice' stamped on them but are perfectly legal to use for competitions.  Any one heard of this before? 

Reply : Thu 5th Mar 2009 13:48

I think the rule with 'practice' is the same as 'X Out'.  You need to find out why they are stamped practice as sometimes it's because they are defective in some way. 

user115085
    Reply : Thu 5th Mar 2009 13:52

"These Pro V1 practice balls come boxed (12 balls per box) and may contain not only a mixture of Pro V1 and Pro V1x, but also a mixture of current and previous generation models."

taken from here....http://www.golfdiscount.com/products/titleist-pro-v1-practice-balls

user204647
    Reply : Thu 5th Mar 2009 23:21

To be honest,it doesn't bother me that much what golf ball i play and think golfers think to much about it. Granted playing a great round with a ball gives you confidence then why not play with that brand. Well my perception is that you swung great on that day and just because your using a new golf ball you think that's the reason,NOT AT ALL. I could play Pro v,Callaway tour i, Srixon or Taylor Made ball and i would never blame the ball for my play or for that matter the clubs.

How many golfers have left the ball short of the hole on pitch shots because of the spin rate,myself included, i would have to say the majority (not unless you thin it of course) but come on everybody i could still score if somebody gave me a pinnacle and will get used to any golf ball.

Sorry if i have upset anybody with my post, but have a think about it realistically.It will go the way you send it not unless you are of a very high standard and it's the chipping and control (greenside) that you are after.

user26342
    Reply : Thu 5th Mar 2009 23:32

Martin,

I used to think like that until I had a fitting at the Belfry & the guy fitting me asked what kind of ball I played with & I said either a ProV1 or the Srixon AD333 Soft. He told me these balls were too soft for me as I generated too much side spin which increased my slice. He recommended the Titleist NXT Tour which I tried & although it didn't clear my slice (at the time) completely it did improve my accuracy.

What's the problem with Pinnacle's

John.

user77012
    Reply : Fri 6th Mar 2009 00:08

School boy error Mr Williams should read my posts more thoroughly and saved yourself £7 a dz and I would  have brought them with me next week.

user204647
    Reply : Fri 6th Mar 2009 00:35

John

If you think that changing your ball to a titleist nxt tour instaed of a Ad333 is going to improve your golf your mistaken. How much spin rate can different golf balls produce? It is your swing that's the problem not the ball.

user26342
    Reply : Fri 6th Mar 2009 07:15

Martin,

I can only go on what I saw, feel & experienced & I'm telling you that changing my ball made a difference.

I've also no reason to question the advice that the qualified guys at the PGA teaching facility at the Belfry gave me.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
    Reply : Fri 6th Mar 2009 07:36

I'm sure that a different ball with different characteristics can make a difference - otherwise all the companies wouldn't spend so much on R&D and have different types of ball!

For the mid to high handicapper though I would imagine that it is more psychological although logic says that if you use a ball that has a higher spin rate, any slice will be worse!

Reply : Fri 6th Mar 2009 08:23

For me, golf is all about feel.  If I'm not comfortable and relaxed, I don't play well.  I have the same thing with my ball.  I don't like the feel of a hard ball of the clubs, especially the driver or putter.  I've tried using them and it does affect my game because they don't feel right.  I also find that sticking with one ball means that my touch around the greens is consistent.  For me, ball makes a difference and I can tell whether it's right for me as soon as I hit it. 

As regards variation in spin rates, there can be a range of 1000 rpm, from 2000 to 3000 rpm, between ball types.  That's a 50% increase and will make a difference in anyones book. 

user115181
    Reply : Fri 6th Mar 2009 16:37

The woods and gorse at my club are full of Pro V1s, hit there by golfers (including me) who kid themselves that a ball designed for players who can hit a 7-iron 200 yards is going to help the weekend player.

Why are so many high handicappers obsessed with "spinning" the ball when their approach shots come up short nine times out of ten? As Lee Trevino famously said to an amateur who asked for advice about how to spin his iron shots.

Trevino - "Tell me sir, how far do you hit your eight iron?"

Joe Blow - "Oh, I guess about 110 yards maybe 120 if I really catch it."

Trevino - "What the hell do you want to stop it for?"

Last edit : Tue 10th Mar 2009 22:34
    user204647
    Reply : Sat 7th Mar 2009 18:53

Totally agree with you Pete,well said and John come on, changing you from an AD333 to a NXT Tour which has a softer core and 3 piece and will create more spin, that i would question not unless you played the AD333 only as a winter ball. I would accept a Pro V to an NXT Tour for sure.

user52922
    Reply : Sat 7th Mar 2009 19:01

I am still using up my stock of Top Flite Z-Balata, which I have played for many years. A nice durable ball that behaves well.

user77012
    Reply : Sat 7th Mar 2009 19:03

JP have you tried the Bridgestone balls I gave you??

user52922
    Reply : Sat 7th Mar 2009 19:20

Yes, Dave I tried one at Parc Golf club in South Wales. First shot went out of bounds, never to be seen again, Frightened to death of using the other two in case the same thing happens.

I will try them on wednesday. I love the  snake eyes gloves as well, wouldn't mind  some more if you can get them, I will pay for the next lot, lol.

user77012
    Reply : Sat 7th Mar 2009 19:34

My four ball today all played Bridgys two RX  a B330 and B330s I feel like a deciple.lol

remind me of the glove 's on Wednesday there's a couple of doz in my boot.

user26342
    Reply : Sat 7th Mar 2009 19:46

Martin,

It was the AD333 'Soft-Feel' ball I was orginally using. These currently have the slogan 'The ideal 2 piece for slower swing speeds' so maybe my swing speed is not suited to this ball which when having my custom fit the PGA would have had all my swing data & just maybe he made his recommendation on this?

Pete,

I didn't swap my ball to generate more spin for approach shots. What type of ball do you use & can you explain why?

John.

user52922
    Reply : Sat 7th Mar 2009 20:06

Don't take any notice, John, play the ball you feel comfortable with.

user204647
    Reply : Sat 7th Mar 2009 20:19

John

The AD333 and soft feel are two completely different golf balls, how was i supposed to know which one it was.

I'm not trying to start an argument here only stating a point.

You play what ever ball you want, just trying to put perspective on the matter.

user26342
    Reply : Sat 7th Mar 2009 20:39

Martin,

didn't intend to mislead you, just got 'balls' mixed up!! Just to clarify I was using the Soft Feel before changing to the NXT Tour.

Nick, I don't use the Pro V's.

user204647
    Reply : Sat 7th Mar 2009 21:00

No worries John, just didn't know

The soft feel is for slower swing speeds which is meant to create less spin rate for the average golfer creating lower spin. The NXT Tour will create much more spin creating a larger slice because of the three peice construction.

Just trying to help John.

user77012
    Reply : Sun 8th Mar 2009 13:18

Paul b330 or b330s  there £16 a dz in fact if anyone want's some thats attending next weekend pm me. Chris i can get rx for £29 and what a great ball.

Reply : Sun 8th Mar 2009 14:19

Dave,

Can you get any of the Bridgie B330-RX?  If so, how much?   

user77012
    Reply : Mon 9th Mar 2009 09:41

Paul, for distance and driver spin rate  they are the same, short iron spin rate the "s" is higher along with feel. My personal choice is the B330s.

If you compare them to titties the 330 is the pro v1 and the 330s is a pro v1x only a better ball IMO.

Dave

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top