http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7859385.stm

re: Does this apply to anyone?
user52922
Reply : Fri 30th Jan 2009 18:41

Personally I think it is hogwash.

user99350
Reply : Sat 31st Jan 2009 00:15

John I couldn't agree more. I can only conclude this academic likes getting papers published and this one looks like it needed minimal input.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 31st Jan 2009 19:50

I would also say Hogwash but .

how many times do you walk up to your nicely placed drive on the fairway, 6 iron in hand, then wait 7 minutes for the group in front to clear the green.  Then duff you next shot 10 yards !!!  Maybe it's just me but this game does get in your hand and controlling this does aid in improving your game.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 31st Jan 2009 20:08

Paul.  lol    to speed play up we should all play in tin hats and then use the rule 'play your ball when you arrive at it'  would make for some interesting calls

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 31st Jan 2009 20:51

Paul, I did this once, never again, slapped wrist and lesson learnt !

I was playing on my own with a husband and wife 2 ball in front of me. They were playing at reasonable speed and obviously I had no right of one being on my own.  I caught up with them by the 3rd and happily stayed behind them for 4 holes. On the Par 5 7th I waited, hit my drive and walked up the fairway.  Again waited watched them in the distance at the edge of the rough felt like they were out of range and hit my 2nd shot, obviously not going for the green.  Chance strike, straight out the middle, wind blew from behind and my 8 iron went 155 yards !!! landing 5 yards short of the husband.

He then decided to wait for me to walk up the fairway, offered a barrage of abuse, for which I apologised and then stood there for 5 minutes just looking at me.  It was one of those moments when you knew how good hindsight was and wished you could turn back the clock.  It then became rather surreal as he just stood there, I'd apologised and had no more to say but for some bizarre reason he wanted something else.  After the surreal 5 minutes I asked him if he was playing on for which he replied letting me through.

Rather bizarre but something I will never do again and will be happy to duff shots 5 yards

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top