Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

New Ryder Cup Captain - Monty !

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 28th Jan 2009 13:00 | Last Reply

2010 - Colin Montogomerie.

Shame it couldn't be Woosie but good luck to Colin who I hope will do a great job.

Last edit : Wed 28th Jan 2009 13:00
re: New Ryder Cup Captain - Monty !
user129155
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 13:02

It was always gonna be him, then olly in 2012.

huge win for eu next time i think

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 13:03

Good luck Monty.  Keep the sandwich list in your pocket!

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 13:10

The choice of Captain is purely academic IMO. Only the players can win and the Captain has no control on the guy who is actually swinging the club. They are either up for it or they are not.

If Faldo had not been let down by the so called star players in his side then we would have won.

Having played many of these kinds of matches as an ex cvounty player I know that the Captain has no influence whatsoever.

No doubt the press will hype it all up, but bottom line is the players themselves must want it.

We are talking about the best players in Europe at the time and if they cannot play together then what is the point.

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 13:20

Yes, he does, Lee and if you cast your mind back the two players Faldo picked performed exceptionally well when compared to the prima donnas, who made no effort IMO to support him.

Harrington, our supposed star player was dismal and it was obvious that he had no intention of playing for Faldo by questioning the selection of Poulter over Clarke.

Poulter 4 points out of a possible 5 tells it all really.

user26342
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 13:25

I would of thought Monty would have liked to have played in the ryder cup seeing as he got left out last year.

I think the captain does have some sort of effect on the team, I know he can't swing the club for them but he must surely decide on pairings, practice rounds, starting positions which might make a difference to the players overall preperation?

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 14:48

I still think that Sandy Lyle should have been captain for this event.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 15:14

My sentiments exactly, Wayne. Lyle is a disgrace to the profession.

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 15:20

John F. Practice rounds have nothing at all to do with the actual match, so can be discounted. Pairings are only important as to how each player feels about his partner, but as they are the top prpofessionals then it should not make the slightest difference. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it is easy after the result is known to be able to pick the pairings and positions to have won the match.

Faldo lost the Ryder Cup, not because his singles positions were wrong, but because his mainstays failed to produce.

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 15:40

In the whole of my life watching and supporting the Ryder Cup, I have never ever come across such a  media frenzy when Faldo was first chosen to lead and continuing with adverse comments about his free pick selections, which, in the end showed that he knowws more about this game than any of them.

No previous Captain ever has had to put up with such derogatory comments leading up to the Ryder Cup itself.

Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 15:57

The Europeans just weren't up for the fight and some didn't seem to care if they won or not.  The key exceptions were the captains picks.  In comparison, the yanks looked really mattered to them, acted like this really mattered to them, played like it really mattered to them and behaved it like really mattered to them and that got the crowd up and behind them.  Despite some deplorable actions by some spectators (sledging is for cricket, not golf) and the f*#%ing annoying "Get in the hole!" on every shot (including off the tee of the par fives!) the crowd support did work in their favour. 

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 16:02

Hard isn't it Mark?

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 16:13

He had taken the place of an up and coming professional yet had the gall to pack it in and leave his partner/s. Not on in my book. He should be ashamed of himself.

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 16:32

No, Paul he did not drop out of a Ryder Cup, it was the Open Championship, where he only got in being a past winner, so by retiring/withdrawing he had taken a space that would have been welcomed by the next on the list.

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 16:38

Up until that incident I had always admired Sandy, and the shot from the bunker at the last to win the Masters was majestic. A full seven iron struck right over the pin and with enough backspin to bring it back nearer to the hole. When the putt went in it really was the icing on the cake.

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 16:44

Seeing as the Captain only just managed to get his name down in time to even be at Wokefield I cannot really see how he is going to get the time to even consider pairings.

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 16:57

I think Monty has a tremendous record in pro golf, one that he can be rightly proud of.

All those Order of Merit wins did not come easy, but he has been his own worst enemy in the way he has conducted himself both on and off the course and unfortunately everyone remembers the bad more than they remember the good.

Having said that I will be supporting him as the Captain and sincerely hope that he does bring the cup back to these shores.

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 17:26

Paul, it is not up to me to judge whether or not he is ready to Captain the side, after all it just seems as though it is a job for the boys as when it comes around to their turn.

user77012
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 17:47

There's two fat blokes on here with T@ts (Me & Santo) are a bit jealous at how much attention the other fat bloke with t@ts is getting!

Paul It would not be advisable for Monty to chair the 2012 venue as it's in the U.S. they would pull him to pieces.

user26342
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 18:10

John P,

I agree that at the last event the players did not hold up their end of the bargain but I still believe that different people can bring different qualities out of each individual. You've only got to look at the Premier League to notice the difference a quality manager can do for results. It's the same scenario, he picks the tesm & let's them get on with it but it must be something in the team talk or tactics that makes a difference.

What would be interesting would be if the players that automatically qualify for the event are given the casting vote on who the captain should be out of a shortlist, then their would be no argument on people not showing loyalty on the course. It will never happen but it would be interesting.

Dave / Santo - get your t!ts out for the lads

John.

Last edit : Wed 28th Jan 2009 18:11
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 18:17

Dave / Santo - Don't you bloody dare, I've not had my tea yet!

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 18:17

I am quite sure that every member of the side tries to play their best golf. We also know that this is not possible all of the time, even for the top pros.

We also have to accept that, on the day someone else can play just that little bit better than you.

Only hindsight, after knowing who scored what can one then manipulate the pairings or porition to get the result one was looking for.

I have won county matches shooting level par yet lost shooting 69. That's how it goes. So what you are saying is that the Captain has to somehow have the foresight to pair me against an opponent who is not going to score as well as me. Ridiculous.

user26342
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 18:29

John,

I'm not saying that he has to have hindsight, I was merely trying to say that different Captains have different methods of 'geeing' up their team. I felt that the atmosphere at the last Ryder cup with the Europeans was nowhere near as intense as other ryder cups.

My comment on the pairings was aimed at making sure that the best partners get put together to produce their best golf. If they shoot 10 under but lose to a pairing that shot 11 under then that's just unlucky.

John.

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 18:35

I think we have to accept that the Americans played the better golf and deserved to win. The blame for the defeat cannot and should not be laid at Faldos door, that is all I am saying.

I was not there so cannot comment on whether the European team seemed buoyant, but I would have thought that being selected is an honour that should not be taken lightly and even if they hated the guts of Nick, should still have performed to their best abilities.

It is impossible to know what the best pairings are going to be on a given day.

user26342
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 18:40

I agree with you John that the fault is not Faldo's, as with all team events you win aa a team & you lose as a team.

I would have thought that previous pairing results, practice rounds etc would give an indication of what 'could' be a possible good pairing.

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 18:51

Of course some pairings will be better than others for all different kinds of reasons.

My regular foursome partner, Barry Reeves. for Open events was great to play with, because it did not matter where I put him, he considered it a challenge and he used to get me out of jail regularly.

My regular partner for the County side was Tony Hill, ex president of the EGU and came from old money, so you can imagine he spoke with a plum in his mouth, lived in a monster house at Burnham but we struck up a rapport, enjoyed each others company and had a fairly good success rate in the matches we played together in.

How do you form indications, take the furore over Clarke after he won that tournament in the far east, everyone wanted him included as a wild card. The following week he was a disaster, so how do you know.

They have set up a system for picking the team, not that I totally agree with it and the Captain has two picks. His choice and his choice alone and no attempt should be made by the media to put forward other names, because of sentiment.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top