Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

new backswing

Posted by: user119312 | Sat 17th Jan 2009 15:08 | Last Reply

last week i had a lesson with my pro he changed my back swing and today i was topping nerly every thing with my irons. is this normal

re: new backswing
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 17th Jan 2009 16:06

It is probably a combination of the windy weather and trying to use what you had learnt from your lesson.

Keep working at it and it will all come together.

Russ

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 17th Jan 2009 16:57

Yesterday I played out of my skin - for my level anyway.

Today it was very bleak. Short game killed me....

Nearly walked off after 9 holes

Reply : Sat 17th Jan 2009 19:15

Dennis, you're a 28 handicap at the moment so you have to expect some bad holes.

Everybody has bad holes on a round of golf, the art is to keep it down to one bad hole and make it a double bogey.

On your good days most of your game will be working for you, and on your bad days none of it will.

Russ

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 17th Jan 2009 19:21

Yep, I know Russ. Not having played for long I know I aint going to be a professional..

A handicap like yours would be great though.....

Be interesting after a year I suppose....

Reply : Sat 17th Jan 2009 19:32

Work at it Dennis, this time last year I had a handicap of 21.

Lessons, playing loads of golf and practice.

The more you play the more you will get out of this game.

Russ

Reply : Sun 1st Feb 2009 11:21

Alex, after your lesson how long did you stay to practice what you had been told?

And also, how much have you practiced your new backswing since?

I've been on the practice ground when my Pro has been giving a lesson.  The moment the lesson ended both the Pro and his pupil left the practice ground.

When I have a lesson, normally thirty minutes I always leave a couple of hours free at the end of it.  Then once the Pro has left I carry on working at what I've been shown.

You have to remember that you are doing something that is not natural to you so it feels awkward to you.

It is amazing how many times I play with people who have just had a lesson in the last few days and then play a round of golf whilst trying their new swing, instead of practicing their new swing and when they are happy with it bring it to the course.

When you play a round of golf use the swing that you are happy with.

If you are changing something on your swing, practice it and then bring it to the course when you can do it instinctively.

Russ

user52922
Reply : Sun 1st Feb 2009 11:56

Alex, by changing back to what you consider your old backswing you have wasted your time and money having the lesson in the first place and secondly you have dismissed the teachings of a professional golfer.

If you have any aspirations to improve and lower your handicap then I am afraid your method has to be a sound one.

Whether or not you will be able to get to this standard on your own or will need professional help, only time will tell, but let me say this,  anyone who wishes to make rapid progress in this game must have a few fundamentals correct and it apears to me that you have just dismissed  the advice of a professional.

Last edit : Tue 3rd Feb 2009 19:18
Reply : Tue 3rd Feb 2009 19:49

Alex, I'm sure you'll see the benefit if you can practice your new backswing and then start to do it automatically.

I've had about a dozen lessons over the last year and within an hour or two working on the lesson I've started to do it automatically.

Then when I'm happy I play a practice round and don't worry too much about the score, I just make sure I'm doing the new swing.

Keep at it and I'm sure it will come good for you, it did for me.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top