Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

My new and (hopefully) improved swing

Posted by: user129155 | Tue 13th Jan 2009 21:12 | Last Reply

Would love to hear some feedback on my latest efforts, have done a comparison of old and new;

Old swing (behind)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fKnRgAZDBlM

New swing (behind) 2 swings, 1 after 30 secs, 1 after 2:15 secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Yx7R8XHMM

also done face on but its through a net so not best quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76dgTKOQ57A

Looking forward to hearing your feedback (john pettit esp)

Last edit : Tue 13th Jan 2009 21:31
re: My new and (hopefully) improved swing
user77012
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 22:21

Definately much improved Stephen great posture,nice smooth take away club sat nicely at the top(not closed anymore) . Would have helped with contrasting clothes to veiw your transition but it appears to me you have gotten lazy with your hips you need to drive with them towards target ,as you start the downswing tuck your R elbow a little closer to you and keep it under your L elbow on the downswing keeping a flat L wrist through impact. this should also help you stay down through the ball where as you are currently rising up out the shot coming into the hitting area. Watch and copy the legs in the link. Good luck. Dave   http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=C-CreBqV52w&feature=related

Last edit : Wed 14th Jan 2009 00:05
user129155
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 22:52

Cheers Dave,

Good to know i'm on the right track - that pro had no clue.

Trying to find the right balance with hips as it had been commented that my hip turn was too far and I wasn't winding up as much as a result.

Will take on board what you said though and try to work it in.

Only learned the new technique on Saturday and picking it up great so far!

Last edit : Tue 13th Jan 2009 22:54
user129155
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 10:19

Thanks Jonny, I must be over compensating with the hips as i'm trying to be more solid in the stance and do a full shoulder turn with less hip turn than I had been as they were 90 degrees almost with my old swing. Need to find a happy medium.

user77012
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 12:40

On second thoughts Stephen I would keep that solid stance , It may stop your knees knocking� on 1st tee of the PGA. he,he.

�also when you find happy medium see if they can contact Mr Hogan for some tips.

Seriously though get your pivots working. As Jonny said watch Clements.

Last edit : Wed 14th Jan 2009 12:59
user129155
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 12:44

ha ha,

I'm not going to mess it up so you can give up trying to pile on the pressure!

I'll work on it and post when i think i have it right

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 13:06

This is still closed at the top. It looks as though your left hand is bowed as opposed to being cupped.

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 13:16

Wayne, for a beginner, I feel he has a lot of good points in his swing.

We all see the game differently and we all have our own ideas on what the swing should look like, but my experience tells me that no one ever really changes their swing so that it becomes unrecognisable from 100 yds.

When I was at Clevedon I could tell you the name of every player on the course by their swing.

Only slight adjustments are needed with everyone, including me.

I am not saying that what Stephen is doing is incorrect, I am saying that I don't like that method myself, when a far simpler solution is available.

You are fortunate that you swing the club very nicely indeed and only subtle changes are what is required to bring you to the standard that you should be at, namely, single figures. The same applies to Jonny P who swings the club beautifully yet is still not realising his potential. Like you he too should be in single figures.

Last edit : Wed 14th Jan 2009 13:35
user77012
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 13:46

I can see what you mean there John on that swing ,I was taking my veiw from the second swing on that vid where it looks like (although very bad light) that the toe is up vertical at 9o'clock and looks down at the top also looks like a bit of cupping, but i may be wrong.With the poor light and dressed all in black not so clear to see but im glad it's getting them eyes of yours working.

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 14:07

I only looked at the first video, Dave, that took long enough waiting for it to start. Talk about rooted to the spot. He has shown a slight improvement with the position at the top, but I don't like to see the wrist bowed. Just my preference. As you know I advocate the open clubface.

We will put him right at the Belfry and I feel he has a lot of potential, especially if he starts to use his lower half of the body correctly. He will be hitting 400 yard drives.

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 14:13

You are right, Dave, the second swing is very good indeed, still slightly closed but I liked his drive through the ball. The ball flight looked perfect. A rising star perhaps.

user129155
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 14:51

sorry about the length, Its slowed down 4 times I think. The second swing in the video starts around 2:15 so you can skip to that point.

Looking forward to some extra pointers at the belfry now! Thanks :-)

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 15:01

Wait your turn Falcus, there's a reason I've put John and Dave in the same group as me!

user129155
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 15:03

didn't you read Chris - I'm a rising star! step aside! ;-)

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 15:12

In fact I have earmarked Chris to win the competition on that day, we are in the same buggy and I like bringing home winners. That is if he pays attention.

Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 15:22

You say something John?

user129155
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 15:24

lol

thanks for comments all anyway - nice to hear what has been said!

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 15:32

We are a friendly bunch on here, Stephen, and encourage each other all the time.

user129155
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 15:36

"encourage each other all the time" except my first tee off at the belfry with all 31 of you preying for me to scuff the sht out of it!

Daylight video with better colours being worn will be posted in due course too. (with tips incorporated too hopefully!

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 15:44

I am the worst driver of a ball in the whole field so don't worry. It is how many that counts, not how.

user129155
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 15:53

how come your drive isnt so good john?

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 16:03

Stephen, there is no logical reason why my driving is so poor. I feel that everytime I get on the tee, I am trying something different, searching, if you like, for a method that will hit the balll down the fairway.

My iron play is exactly the opposite, full of confidence and pretty accurate, especially with the shorter irons. I survive on a fairly good short game, but what I play now can in no way be considered golf.

user129155
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 16:11

still 13 handicap on short game alone is nothing short of genius.

I'm sure you could find something that'll work for you.

There's a bloke at my club who is going the exact opposite way, He's 65 and still plays off 3, His driving is still almost as good as ever - clears 240 easily but his irons are becoming less consistent.

user77012
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 16:18

Stephen,You should be 13 also around your pitch and putt course with your new swing, and if John was at your club he would be off 3 or lower.

Last edit : Wed 14th Jan 2009 16:18
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 16:18

"I survive on a fairly good short game" & "what I play now can in no way be considered golf"

This isn't the comedy hour John!  I've seen you play and what you play is undoubtedly golf and your short game is superb.  The only thing holding you back is the advancing years and there's little control you can have over that.  Having said that, you're trying by having bionic knees fitted and you can still pull some mean moves on the dance floor (I saw you robotic dancing on the green at Ombersley remember!).  You are proof that good course management and a finely honed short game is what makes a good golfer and you won't ever lose that. 

I know you are holding one of the highest handicaps you ever have, but I don't think you will ever see one that gives you more than a shot per hole. 

user77012
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 16:20

Peter crouch has nothing on JP.

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 16:21

Well done to the old boy, but he must be pretty fit. Ill health has ruined my game.

I do not hit the ball very far these days which means that I very rarely hit any green in regulation figures, so I have to be on my game around the greens to get a score.

Winning does not come into the equation anymore, those days are long gone. For me it is exercise and the occasional thrill of striking one correctly coupled with good company on the course.

Last edit : Wed 14th Jan 2009 16:32
user129155
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 16:26

Hardly a pitch and put course dave! most par 4's are 350 - 430 yds.

hopefully i'll be round there in a year or so's time.

I'm gonna predict John to win the event.

user52922
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 16:31

I have no chance, Stephen, the course is way too long for me. Dave L will play well there, but I have a feeling a higher handicapper will win.

I think I am going to coach my buggy partner round to a wonderful victory, just like I did with Paul Cook at Omberseley.

Last edit : Wed 14th Jan 2009 16:33
user77012
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 16:53

Stephen , Hooks in dont snap the line. he, he.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 19:01

On the first video I watched the only thing I noticed was that when you took the club away from the ball, once it has reached waist hight the club should be pointing straight up, but yours was pointing away from you, about 45 degrees (face of club facing towards the floor).  then when you hit the ball is started out to the left of you.

To be honest the second two swings were too dark to notice anything.  But from what I could see was that you had sorted out the point I made above.

So it appears that you are going in the right direction, so keep going.

Russ

user129155
Reply : Wed 14th Jan 2009 19:19

hardee ha dave ;~{

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top