Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

To see or not to see? That is the question.

Posted by: user128129 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 11th Jan 2009 15:09 | Last Reply

Hi All,

Over the last few rounds, my game had gone to pieces. The main problem was I kept hitting fat shots, even off the tee. This only occurred when the weather was dull. When playing in sunshine I played much better. After reading various posts on here and other websites I realised that I was probably dropping into the shot on the downswing. Then I had a 'Eureka' moment. When playing in sunshine I wear my perscription sunglasses (I'm short sighted), when playing in dull weather I wear my clear glasses. My new clear glasses are much narrower than my sunglasses and so to see the ball at address I need to drop my head lower. Looking through the very bottom of the glass slightly distorts the percieved distance of the ball (it looks about 20 - 30mm further away than it actually is).I played 18 holes on a par 3 without any glasses on Friday afternoon and struck the ball more cleanly than I have for as long as I can remember. Unfortunatly, any hole longer than about 170 yds, I lost sight of the ball and had to rely on my playing partner to 'spot' for me.

So now I will have to either buy new 'bigger' glasses, only play with a partner, or only play when it is sunny!

re: To see or not to see? That is the question.
user52922
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 16:48

Very funny, Paul, I too have had a problem with seeing the ball for some time now but wearing glasses is not the answer as I find the same problems as you and the rim gets in the way all the time.

The ball moves on the tee, just will not keep still, and once I've hit it, I lose the flight after about 150 yds.

How do I hit it, you say, from memory.

user41897
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 16:58

I wear glasses too and find it right annoying.  I liked your comment Paul about playing without glasses.  If I did that I'd struggle to see the ball on the tee, let alone once it was on its way.  My glasses are very narrow so I guess I may be dropping my head too.  On a lesson recently the pro did say I should keep my head up a bit.  My biggest annoyance is the real, or percieved, feeling of my glassess slipping down my nose which means I have to include in my routine a 'pushing up' of the glasses before I setup.  If I forget to do it, it can upsettle me me.  I suppose contacts would be the obvious solution but I've never really got on with them.

user41897
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 17:19

Sounds like a job for Engineer Hawkins!!

user52922
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 17:28

I tried contact lenses but I found them more trouble than they were worth. I could not wait to get then out.

user41897
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 17:32

Likewise John I've tried  contacts and soon reverted back to my glasses - simpler all round but frustrating in circumstances such as this.  I'd like to be able to wear decent shades too...  Maybe I will give them another go..

user52922
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 17:40

Andy, I think the answer lies ina manufacturer dsigning a pair of glasses that are rimless and of the size that Dennis Taylor wore to win the world snooker championship or of the size our own Victoria B wears permanently. She is an Essex girl, Andy, ask around.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 21:47

My lad plays hockey and got himself some disposable contact lenses from Asda.  He only wears them when he plays hockey (twice a week) and it costs him about £10 for 30 pairs, meaning they last him around 4 months.  There's no cleaning or anything, he just puts them in 30 minutes before playing to let his eyes adjust and throws them away when he's done.  He reckons it's really helps.  He also wears them when he goes away with Army cadets (easier to shoot straight when you can see straight!). 

user52922
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 22:04

Contact lenses are a different prescription than ordinary glasses, so be aware of that.

user24437
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 23:43

Been away for the weekend and as I was driving home I heard a call for help!

Not had much time to have a think about it yet, but Paul, do I take it that the problem is that you don't need glasses to see the ball at address but do for the ball flight?  If it is I think I may have a fairly simple solution.  If it's the other way around it's a bit trickier but not impossible.

Let me know

user198914
Reply : Sun 11th Jan 2009 23:55

could always have laser correction, my wife had it, it  took bout an hour and now no more lenses or glasses, as easy as that

Last edit : Sun 11th Jan 2009 23:55
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 09:04

Paul,

He needed new glasses anyway so he had an eye test done there.  They insist on giving you a contact lens specific exam and 'health check'.  They got him to put some lenses in and go and have a coffee in the cafe for 30 minutes (they even gave him a voucher for a free drink!).  When he went back 30 minutes later they checked he'd had no reaction and that they were the right kind of lenses for him before letting him take some.  He can now order his lenses online and they get delivered to the house.  Got to be honest, they were pretty good. 

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 11:43

The way I'm playing maybe I should close my eyes when swinging a club!

I played the 18th at my club the other week in the dark, and got a par!

Normally it's a bogey or a seven, the hole is a par 5.

Russ

user77012
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 15:43

Chris W if you are not looking at the ball squarely at address (with all your clubs) you have not got the right posture. Lifting your head up and looking down your nose is a no,no, (swing'08) That's why you were hitting the ball better in '07 better swing looking squarely at the ball, still a few faults. If you have been taught your'08 swing 2 things come to mind a) your not listening b) instructor is clueless.

Here's a Major winner who wore glasses .

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tQu2YNTe6P4

put a straight edge from his eyes to the ball  and I don't know anyone who lifts their head  and looks down their nose to play golf the notion is absurd.

user77012
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 17:36

John , 3 reasons for looking down your nose at address  1) tilting your head backwards, 2) standing to upright 3) hands to close to the body .

If you have a good set up I.e. hands below your chin, head sat square on your shoulders correct spine tilt you will be looking squarely at the ball. You will still have clearance for your shoulder turn under your chin. I know and i have three chins at least!

Hold a club in your hands straight out in front of you and look at the toe,your not looking down your nose to see it. swing left shoulder to chin. Hands back to middle bend at waist till club hits floor , bend knees your still looking square to ball.

I wear contacts so I went out the back and set up through the bag wearing specs and  the ball was in full view at address no frame issue. Became a pain on backswing were I could see bottom frame which would annoy me back at impact and had ball clearly inside frames.

Last edit : Mon 12th Jan 2009 20:16
user77012
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 18:46

You are correct it's the second hole at Houston Countyr Club and he's playing againts Sam Snead, It's a  Par 5 dogleg left and he fades it 250yrds up in front of the right hand bunker.

I will agree you look across your nose but certianly not down it Jonny, as you see people doing up and down the range after being told to keep their chin up.

How was NY fella any goodies??

Last edit : Mon 12th Jan 2009 18:47
user77012
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 19:07

Just checked it out looks good I presume you like it more than Wynch or you would not have joined . Does it play dryer that was the only trouble with Wynch from what I recall. Did you think about Burford ,I would have just for the Guinness. I will arrange a job up your neck of the woods soon but you are going to have to play at Radyr.

I notice your not down for the sothern team yet, I hope you are playing??

Last edit : Mon 12th Jan 2009 19:09
user52922
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 19:16

Even our Captain has not put his name down yet, soon there will be no more places. Perhaps he is going to be a non-playing Captain.

user77012
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 19:36

Shame on him , John.

user81455
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 21:02

Is Ian Poulter a member of Golfshake? I've just noticed on BBCi he has dropped out of a tournament next week to have corrective eye surgery. You would think he had been reading this thread.

user77012
Reply : Mon 12th Jan 2009 21:05

That explains why he could'nt find his driver.........

user25268
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 11:26

with my eyesight i can never see a playing partners ball from the side, only when standing behind then i can follow the flight through the air but very rarely see it land, i only get a general idea of the landing area.  should have eaten more carrotts as a youngster.

Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 12:39

My missus has astigmatism Steve and she can still wear the Asda lenses.  they do several different types now to cater for different eye conditions.  She has to pay a little more for them but it still works out much cheaper for her than her old ones (Vision Express).  Think she pays around £26 for 30 pairs. 

user52922
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 14:37

Bad news for me today. I have unfortunately picked up Cystoid Macula Edema following my caract surgery.

Cystoid macular edema (CME), or swelling of the macula, typically occurs as a result of disease, injury or more rarely, eye surgery.  Fluid collects within the layers of the macula, causing blurred, distorted central vision.  CME rarely causes a permanent loss of vision, but the recovery is often a slow, gradual process.  The majority of patients recover in 2 to 15 months.  

I have canceled Puttenham game with the boys for the 30th Jan, Conwy with Wayne is not looking too good as I cannot drive at the moment and if the drops do not work I will not be able to make it. The next one after that is The Belfry on 15th March, so I am keeping fingers crossed that I might be able to see by then. I m assuming, of course, that the new knee is up to the task anyway.

user52922
Reply : Tue 13th Jan 2009 18:07

Thanks, Paul, it seems a long while since I hit a golf ball.

user52922
Reply : Wed 21st Jan 2009 17:23

Thanks guys, but I have a sneaking feeling this is what is going to stop me playing golf.

Reply : Wed 21st Jan 2009 17:28

I doubt it John.  You'll be challenging the grim reaper to a game of skins just to get one last round in before he takes you off!  You've got years of golf left. 

user52922
Reply : Wed 21st Jan 2009 18:09

Oh, how I wish, Chris.

user99350
Reply : Wed 21st Jan 2009 23:47

Hang in there John, best wishes. I'm sure your obvious passion for the game will see you through.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top