Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Applying handicap for stableford scoring to 2 x 9 holes

Posted by: user65393 | Sat 10th Jan 2009 09:31 | Last Reply

Hi,

One of my local courses is made up of 3 x 9 holes.  On the scorecard the SI is 1-9 for each 9 holes.

When playing with anyone with a handicap higher than 18 we have applied the extra shots evenly between the relevant SI, split between the front and back 9, e.g. a handicap of 20 would get a shot on each hole plus an extra shot on SI 1 for both 9 holes.

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct way of doing it and if not, what is?

Many thanks

Stu

re: Applying handicap for stableford scoring to 2 x 9 holes
user52922
Reply : Sat 10th Jan 2009 10:00

You don't have much of a choice, Stuart, with the cards being marked like that. Just shows that the golf course is only interested in money and not in any way thoughtful enough to provide three different cards for the three different combinations of  the three loops of nine. A+B, A+C and B+C.

As they don't, however, the only real problem you have is when it is an odd number of strokes over the eighteen, as you then have to make a choice between two even numbers which are the same, when you are just lokking for one.

I would take it up with the club, because what they are doing is not what I would call showing an interest in it's playing public.

If it is a proper bona fide golf club then they need a kick up the pants.

re: Applying handicap for stableford scoring to 2 x 9 holes
user41897
Reply : Sat 10th Jan 2009 10:44

A couple of courses around here are the same.  Check the local rules printed on the card.  At South Essex the local rule says that a golfer with an odd numbered handicap will receive the odd shot on the front 9. Its a fudge really and like John says doesn't really show too much committment from the club.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top